Missing Persons

Tuesday night the cops came to the door. Kate and Martin were both sitting at the table eating his most recent kitchen failure. The knock startled Kate but then she jumped up, "Riley.." She still hadn't heard from him. "Wait Katie, I'll get it." Her dad said as he walked past her to the door. The two policemen at the door were a shock to Martin. "Can I help you?" The men exchanged looks, "Have you seen Riley Ellis? We were told his girlfriend lives here." Kate took a couple steps towards the door. "I'm his girlfriend. What do you mean have we seen him?" She was playing distressed quite well. "His parents reported him missing, they haven't seen him since.." Kate cute them off rushing to the door, "Since Thursday?" The men nodded. Kate turned to her dad, "See I told you something was weird with Riley!" The officer asked her, "What do you mean weird?" Martin pulled his daughter back, "She hasn't been able to get him to respond to her since Thursday afternoon. Is he being reported as a runaway?" The officer glanced back at Kate for a moment, "Can we talk to you privately sir?" Martin nodded and turned back to Kate, "Go finish eating your dinner baby, I'll be a minute."

A few minutes later her dad came back in and shut the door behind him. "What's going on daddy?" He studied his daughter for a moment, "They are declaring Riley as a missing person. His parents seem to be a little hazy on the details of his last whereabouts. They said his last phone ping was only a quarter mile from our house Thursday." Kate blinked at him, "Well he was here, but he left before you came home." He looked a little surprised, "You didn't tell me that." She shrugged, "I'm telling you now. But that was the last I saw or heard from him."

Wednesday morning the school was buzzing. Jenny swooped in to Kate before she could duck into her first class. "Is Riley really missing?" She asked. Kate looked away, "I don't know Jenny. The cops came to my house last night asking about him. " Jenny's dumb smile faded away, "You still haven't heard from him?" Kate shook her head, "What if I'm the last person to see him?" She asked voice cracking. Jenny grabbed her and hugged her tightly, "It's going to be okay Kate, you'll see. He's just hiding out being a jerk somewhere. You'll see."

It was the last week of school, about three weeks since Riley's mysterious disappearance. Kate was sitting at lunch with Jenny and Naomi when Jake walked by. The girls were talking and laughing loudly. "Don't seem too worried about that boyfriend anymore Kate. Have the cops checked out what you were doing when he went missing?" Jake barked. "We dated for like three weeks Jake. Besides he probably ran away have you heard about his parents?" Kate sneered. Jake smiled wickedly at her, "Heard he took off after you guys had sex. I know I wanted to run away after fucking you too." Jenny jumped up and immediately started screaming incoherently at him. Laughing he ran off. Naomi looked shocked at Kate, "You slept with Jake?" "Don't right now." Kate said.

Jenny sat down winded, "What a chump." "Did you guys tell anyone I slept with Riley?" Naomi shook her head and they both looked at Jenny. She bit her lip, "Sorry, it slipped." Naomi slammed her hand down on the table making Jenny jump, "Damn it girl." "Sorry!" Kate shook her head, "It's okay, I was just trying to figure out how it got out. " Jenny was still treading softly, "We should party tonight." Naomi shook her head, "I can't, I leave for the cheer lab tonight..." She paused looking at Kate, "But you two should! Get Kate's mind off, you know. Soak in the pool, just relax." Jenny nodded rapidly causing the black cascade of curls bouncing in every direction, she looked like a bobble head. Kate giggle, "Okay, I don't know how we're going to drink, my dad will home." Jenny shrugged, "Where there's a will there's a way!"

Jenny and Kate sat outside by the pool. "This is dumb." Kate stated, "Seriously I had no idea my dad had friends let alone they were all going to have a poker night." Jenny shrugged, "We might be able to get away with drinking." Kate shook her head, "No, not this early in the night a least." Jenny's phone buzzed. Her devilish little face lit up, "Well there's a house party. What if we walk?" Kate thought it over, she had never been to a house party other than their own houses. If they didn't drive, or ride with anyone her dad could only get so mad at them. She cracked a smile, "Sure let's do it."

The girls came into the house through the sliding glass door, a group of six burly construction workers sat around their kitchen table laughing with cards and beer. "Ah Katie Bug!" Martin reached out and grabbed his daughter as she tried to walk by in a sideways bear hug. "Oh I love you. What are you girls doing?" Jenny flashed her smile, "Actually Mr. Belfast we were going to go hang out with some friends. Is that okay? We'll be safe like always!" He squinted at her, "Kate?" "I know the rules dad, good decisions." He nodded, "Okay."

The girls weren't outsiders in their school, they had their tight group but they were known and well like by many kids. Gabby's party was awesome; her parent's house was out by the marina on the edge of town. Her parents took a timely vacation to Bali the last week of school. Usually Kate didn't like to really let loose, she liked to be in control and tonight was no different. She eventually found herself outside by the beach fire pit, there wasn't very many people out there. She watched the lake water roll back and forth across the sand. "I've been thinking about you." Called a drunken voice from behind her. She turned to see Jake in his green lettermen jacket. "About running away?" She hissed.

Jake smiled sheepishly, "Nah, Kate I'm sorry. I don't know why I do the shit I do." He stumbled over to her, "Why don't we hang out anymore Kate?" The smile on Kate's face hid the feeling of sheer audacity. "Because you're a dick." She laughed out when she said it. Jake smiled, "I am. I really am." Kate started to slowly walk along the beach into the darkness, "So you've been thinking about me?" He followed her. "Uh huh." She stopped and turned to him, "About what?" Hesitantly Jake reached out touching her arms lightly before pulling her close to him. The stench of beer and weed hung heavy on his breath. She got a nose full before he crashed his mouth into hers. Kate pulled away laughing and continued to walk down the beach.

"I bet we're both better at it now." Jake mumbled drunkenly. "Better at what Jake?" Kate asked. "Fuck'n" Kate couldn't help but laugh. "8th to 11th grade and half the cheerleading squad I sure hope so Jake Halsey." He laughed, half jogging to keep up with her. "Where are we going?" Jake asked looking around with the sudden realization that they were far from the party. "Somewhere we can be alone." Kate said smiling to herself. Jake puffed up his chest like he had just won a trophy and continued to walk along with her.

It wasn't until they were on the spillway did Jake start question things again. "Hey Kate, where are we going?" She grabbed his hand and pulled him to her. She kissed him hard pulling him into her by his waistband. "There's an operators shack on the other side. My dad does work for them sometimes so I have the code to get in." Jake smiled and continued to follow her. Kate stopped and walked toward the edge of the concrete wall. "Whoa Kate, come back." Jake said smiling at her. "What? Scared?" She laughed. "We use to play on this, remember?" Jake shook his head holding his hand out to her, "Not in the dark, or when the flow was this high Kate." Kate turned back to the edge and muttered, "Big baby."

Sighing heavily Jake stepped closer to the edge and came to stand next to Kate. "That was a long time ago." He said looking out into the darkness. Kate smiled, "Yeah. Awe Jake look at the stars." When Jake's chin jerked forward Kate shoved him with all her might. It was much easier than she thought it was going to be and nearly followed Jake over the edge of the spill way. His late scream was stopped short when his face contacted concrete. It wasn't as thrilling, but it still felt good, there was still a rush. At least with this one she didn't have any evidence to destroy, and no body to move. When Jake's body was found it would probably be ruled an accident.

When Kate got back to the party she found Jenny slumped against a toilet. She helped her up and walked her outside. "Where were you? I looked everywhere!" Jenny wined. "Everywhere?" Kate asked sternly. "Well the kitchen and the bathroom. Where were you?" "I had to pee and someone was taking up the bathroom, I went outside." Kate said helping Jenny to the curb. "You were gone a really long time." Kate shook her head, "No I wasn't, you disappeared I went out to the fire pits, then I went pee and then I came and found you." Jenny thought for a second then rubbed her eyes. Her makeup was smeared all over her face. "Okay that makes sense." "It's time to go home." They started down the rocky road when Jenny started frantically digging for her phone. "Let's Uber." Kate sighed as she typed the information into the app on Jenny's phone.