Buried Secrets

Martin Belfast took a step back from the old metal shelving while keeping his eyes on his daughter. "Come on out from back there Katie Bug." She didn't move, her brain was misfiring. "Bring the box if it make you feel better, the knife too." He said, his voice was still at that comforting dad tone that made her feel safe. More misfiring in her brain. "Katie!" He barked. Snapping out of the funk she jumped slightly and grabbed the box and knife. "Let's go upstairs baby." She stood staring at him. He smiled a weak smile, "Okay, I'll go up first. You come up to the table. We need to talk." And just like that he went up the stairs and disappeared.

It took a couple seconds for the blood to return to her legs and arms. She slowly walked up the steps, box and knife still tightly held to her breasts. Her mind was racing but kept stopping at the same place. He's just like me, no. I'm just like him.

There he was just like he said, sitting at the table. His eyes dropped to the chair just off the side of him. Kate set the box then the knife on the table and gingerly sat down. Her eyes widened when that bear paw came up again and rested on that big hunting knife she had stolen. "Katie Bug, don't you lie to me." She nodded. "Did you kill that boy Riley?" For a split second her eyes fell back down to the knife, they shot back up to him. "Yes daddy." His eyes closed as he brought his hand up to his face and began to rub the space between his eyes. "Jake Halsey?" Her voice dropped, "Yes daddy."

His eyes were still closed. "Did you steal stuff from my work truck to hide it?" Now her voice was only a whisper, "Yes daddy." There was a moment of silence before his hand came down and he opened his eyes back up. He took a deep breath and asked, "Anything you want to ask me Katie Bug?" Her eyes rolled down to the box. "Clearly there's nothing off the table Katie." He reassured her. At first when she went to open her mouth nothing but a pitiful squeak came out. He smiled as she cleared her throat and tried again. "Did you kill mom?" His expression was unchanged, "Yeah Katie Bug I did."

The silence between them was warm. "Why, was she like those other girls?" Martin shook his head, "No Katie it wasn't anything like that. After you were born she changed, and I could have lived with that. I could have lived with her cheating, hell I could have even lived with her blaming me for David's death. But she was going to take you away from me. She found the box, like you did." He leaned back and furrowed his brows. "God I don't know what made that woman so hateful over the years. She was going to turn me in, take you away. I couldn't let her do that." Kate thought for a second and nodded, then she pushed the box across the table to her dad. "Any other question?" He asked. She shook her head. "You?" She asked.

"Are there any more? Other than Riley and Jake?" He asked after a short pause. Kate stretched her face into what could only be described as an oh shit expression. Martin looked at her concerned. "Jenny." She said sheepishly. He twitched a little, "When?" She pointed past him out to the pool. Leaning over he peered out. He turned back to her shaking his head. "First lesson Katie.." He said tapping the knife on the table, "Don't keep the murder weapon. Do you want to get caught?" Kate shook her head. He stood up, "Second lesson, always have a plan."

Standing above Jenny's now dry body Martin Belfast shook his head. "God damn it Katie. You're going to have to work on your impulsive behavior. That's how you get caught." "That's why I was in the basement, I was looking for something." He nodded, "Explains the little puddles leading down the steps. What were you looking for? What was the plan?" He sounded a little irritated. Katie shrugged. He looked disappointed in her, like he did when she painted the side of his work truck with nail polish when she was six. "Oh, "He said sounding a little more irritated, "You're grounded. Don't ever tell me Fuck you again. Got it?" Kate nodded. Martin gave a confirming dad nod then looked over at the still empty square hole that was supposed to be a cement pad and smiled. "Time to get to work Katie Bug."

"Are you sure you want to stay in the dorms? We can probably get you a nice little apartment Katie." He said helping carrying a box out to her car. "Yeah daddy, I kinda want the whole experience." Kate said stuffing soft items into the cracks of the trunk. He shoved the box into the back of the car and shut the door. Holding his arms out Kate stepped into them and gave her dad a big hug. Hugging her back he kissed the top of her head, "I'm going to miss you so much Katie Bug." She laughed, "I'm going to miss you too daddy." "Remember what I told you." She nodded as she got into the car, "Don't feel pressured to do anything I'm uncomfortable doing." "And?" "Make good decisions." "And?" She thought for a second and he scowled at her. She smiled, "Nobody close to me." He leaned down to the window and kissed her on the forehead again. "That's my girl. Drive carefully."