Chapter 46

~Mixed Feelings~

~Mixed Feelings~

Narrators POV

Enzo couldn't sleep.

It could've been because it was three in the afternoon, or maybe because he had eaten absolutely nothing today, he wasn't sure. It wasn't like he wasn't comfortable. Quinn was curled quietly into his side, her lips parted slightly in sleep. Every once in a while her nose would twitch making him smile.

He was more than happy that she was able to rest after such a long afternoon, but for some reason he couldn't. Every time he closed his eyes he felt the need to make sure that she was okay again.

If anyone had told him a year ago that he would be here holding her in his arms, his muscles stiff from refusing to move as to not wake her, he would've honestly thought they were delusional. In fact a year ago he watched her sobbing on top of the Astronomy tower after he told her it should've been her instead of her mum.

Enzo cringed at the memory. There were so many things said between them. So many things that he could never take back.

Even now he doubted that she'd ever be able to truly be able to forgive him for that. It wasn't like he expected her to, but he wished there were a way for her to know how he'd never meant those words.

He wished she understand that without her, he would've probably given up a long time ago.

There were days after the incident that he felt so utterly disgusting he couldn't even move. Days when every time he closed his eyes, he felt the lingering imprints of their hands on him. In the darkest hours of the night he often contemplated why he bothered trying any longer. He didn't have a father that loved him, he pushed away his friends constantly, and even his father figure had destroyed his innocence.

But then there was Quinn.

Every single day she was the reason he got up, even if it was just to see that look on her face every time she was about to slap him. He was always too stubborn to let her win by giving up.

And then one day he didn't get out of bed to make fun of her, but instead to simply see her smile. He wasn't sure when that exact switch happened but it had and he wished it would go back. He wished that he didn't feel his heart seize up every time she laughed or that seeing her like this lately didn't completely destroy him.

If it was anyone else he wouldn't deny that he felt the way he was. But it wasn't anyone else. If there was one person on this Earth who deserved better than what he had to offer it was Quinn. At first, when it was just sex between them, he didn't think too much about it, but now he was going out of his mind.

The two of them couldn't be friends after years of hating each other, let alone more.

Without thinking, Enzo rose his hand and tucked a piece of Quinn's hair behind her ear. Her curls were fanned out around her only adding to the beauty that he'd noticed since second year. His fingers slowly grazed her cheek, making her push herself farther into his body.