Goodbye

This chapter is an optional chapter dedicated to Jason Grace. Not that much related to the book.

Dear Dad,

It has been years since I took my first steps in this humungous castle of yours and blossomed as the years passed by. And today, I feel like recalling those beautiful moments of my life. You know it quite well that under this body breathes your five years old girl who is craving to come out at this moment!

Mom and you were literally opposites yet you two took care of things so perfectly. Mom was quite a good speaker while you were more of a thinker. It took me a few years to realize that Mom had a charm in her voice which I rightfully inherited from her, unfortunately, I am not quite proficient in using it. And about you, I have a lot to say! So, later!

People used to say that I was literally like my Mom and Charlie, well, he was you! However, now, you see, Charlie has changed a lot. He is no longer the bubbly-old brother I had, he has become a mature and responsible King, a bit like you, still, more of Mom!

The best part of childhood was during the Winter Solstice when all the Big Three Kingdoms used to meet. Lord Hades and Lord Poseidon would come to visit us with their whole family. However, this was the time when the castle became the most crowded as well as noisy place in the whole kingdom! 

It was nice to spend time with my cousins. We would play, eat and sleep together! And though, they all are quite sweet and fun to hang around with, but, they were never you. And at night, when I couldn't sleep, I would sneak out of my room and head straight towards your room. And there, I would stumble into someone so tall for a small three-year-old like me.

"So, what is this little girl doing in the pitch dark alone in the corridor?"

"So, what is this man doin in the pitch dark alone in the corridor?" I would say, crossing my tiny hands over my chest.

And then, you would kneel.

"You acting smart!" You would narrow your eyes and then suddenly, a smile would appear on your face and I would know what comes next.

"No!" I would whisper shout at the same time but my efforts would go in vain as you would tackle me and tickle the hell out of me. 

And well, this is my favorite part, you would lift me and we would together move towards the stairs and up for the terrace

And well, this is my favorite part, you would lift me and we would together move towards the stairs and up for the terrace. And beneath the whole blanket of stars, we would sit with me in your lap and talk for hours and hours. I would curl up like a tiny little ball on your stomach. Gods, I can't believe I could fit in there. You would pat my head and kiss me on my forehead and there I would sleep every day. Since then, there was not a single night when I didn't tell you about my day and you didn't offer me any advice and solved my problems. 

You would tell me stories about the Selection as I turned five. And one day, that unusual day, I caught you in the corridor, and luckily, this time you were alone. The thing is you were a really busy man which I used to find a bit saddening cause you never talked to me during the day. It was either the Ministers, the people of the kingdom, or Mom, sometimes even Charlie too, but never me. Being a child I was, I got angry and stumped my feet very hard which I realized wasn't a good thing as a souring pain struck me. You walked up to me and bend down to look at me. I averted my eyes. You tried to touch me but I didn't let you. Child in rage is dangerous!