Chapter 18

* Kate * 

Kol and I pulled into Mystic Falls and I slid out , putting my hands on my hips as I looked around , narrowing my eyes . I knew I had bussiness to take care of and I was smart enough to know that I couldn't do it alone .I would need back up . I looked over at Kol who was reading a book . 

" Kol ? " I asked .

" Hmmm ..... " he said , shutting the old book .

" I love you . You know that right ? " I said , biting my lip .

He looked up and nodded .

" I know . I love you too . " he said .

" We've got some work to do . " I said , getting out of my car with my sunglasses on .

* Edward *

The Voulturi were coming tomarrow and our numbers were slightly dwindling . Everyone was grim and nobody had much hope . I can't belive that she walked out on me . I know that Kate was mad , but .... I didn't know she'd abandon me in my time of need. In my heart though , I know that it was me who abandoned her long before she ever abandoned me and that's something I can't take back . It was true . I'd left her . I'd never tried to find her . Never went to visit her grave . Never took her flowers on her birthday .Never even thought about what happened to her . Never .... looked back .

" I'm so sorry . " I whispered , sitting on the floor of the cottage with my head in my hands . 

" I'm so so sorry , Katie . " 

There was a knock on the door , but I didn't bother looking up . 

" Go away . " I growled .

Apparently the person didn't listen because the door opened and someone sat down next to me.

" She's in good hands . As much as I hate to admit it ." Garrett said , shaking his head .  

I looked over at him . 

" What are you talking about ? "

" With that Kol guy. Caught up with Kate on the outskirts of town . You don't need to worry . " he muttered .

I looked at him and narrowed my eyes curiously , reading his thoughts .

" The girl that you're always thinking about .... it's Kate , isn't it ? " I asked .

He looked over at me and nodded .

" Yeah. Met her in the 30's . We were best friends . We were young . Well ... she was . "

" You loved her ? " I asked .

Garrett looked down .

" Yeah. I did . Always have . "

" What happened ? " I asked .

He shrugged .

" She was a vampire hunter . I woke up and she was gone . I hadn't realized she'd already been in love . "

" She's certainly ... something . " I said of my sister .

Garrett nodded .

" She never gave up hope that she might find you . I remember one night , she was having a nightmare . Something was after her and it wasn't my name she was calling out . It was yours . "

I looked down , choking up a bit.

" I never knew what happened to her . I never cared . "

Garrett sighed .

" But you care now and that's what matters . Course , it's not me you need to convince and your sister is a little tougher then I am . "

I looked up . 

" Thanks , Garrett. " I said .

He shrugged .

" Don't mention it . Seriously . I mean it ! Don't tell anyone that we had this little heart to heart . " he said , rolling his eyes .

I laughed .

" I won't . Hey, what about you and Katrina Denali ? " I asked , cocking an eyebrow .

He smiled.

" Katrina is an extraordinary woman . " he said, getting up to go .

" Yeah . She's a good friend . " I muttered , watching Garrett walk out .