In Trouble

"I told you to stay safe!" Alyssa stormed inside of James' apartment, slamming the door shut behind her with her foot. Her hands were pressed firmly on her hips. "I wake up and you're not at home so what do I do? Call your phone, thinking maybe it turned into a booty fall. But who picks up? This guy!" One hand came off her hip and pointed at James who had backed off to a corner of his kitchen, beer back in his hand. His eyes were still gleaming with amusement.

"I didn't know it was going to be unsafe!" I defended, holding my ground. "It just felt unsafe." I sputtered, instantly regretting my words. Even though Alyssa was already riding my ass about not staying safe, this gave her more ammunition and I fell deep into the hole I had just dug myself.

"Well in this scenario, it WASN'T. And you didn't think to call me to come get you. Or James?" She suggested before letting out a very frustrated exhale, "(y/n), you could have died. The minute you feel unsafe, you leave! You would have left me in that great big house of yours alone. You're all I've got..." her voice trailed off, the energy to grill me any more disappearing. I immediately felt my heart twinge and crack slightly, a little piece chipping off. I really was all she had and honestly, she was all I had too.

She was my only form of family.

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't call you. I did try and leave, I thought he was a normal creepy dude. Not some sidekick to a dollar store Winter Soldier." I sighed, rubbing my face hard with my palms. Her feet paced over to me and she hugged me gently, careful not to antagonise my bruises. I hugged her back, closing my eyes as my chin rested on her shoulder.

"Don't die on me." She grumbled, still a little bit agitated. "Or I'll kill you." A little amused laugh erupted from me in response. She pulled herself back from our hug, her attention moving onto James.

"Thank you for bringing her in safely." Alyssa nodded curtly towards him. It was clear she felt a little uncomfortable when looking at him, however. Her slightly trembling hands had slipped into the pockets of her sweater. "Who knows where she'd be if you hadn't have helped her."

"In a happier place." The sarcastic quip I made caused her to glower at me. "What?" I asked, throwing my hands in the air. "I found it funny."

"It's fine." James' responded to Alyssa, "After all, it is my job." I felt his eyes move onto me and I whipped my head around, meeting them with my own. The two of us stared intently at each other for a few moments.

"Steve would be grateful." Alyssa praised, her uncomfortable aura slowly diminishing around her as she smiled at him.

"That's who I'm doing it for." He responded, shooting his eyes back to my friend. I swear for a moment I caught a glimmer of sadness for his fallen friend flash within them. I bit my lip, looking down at the floor below me as I sunk into my own thoughts, drowning out the conversation James and Alyssa were having.

James had picked up my call, and even though it was accidental and not to my knowledge, he came for me immediately. How he knew where I was, I didn't know but he saved my life. I felt a comforting warmth swirl up inside of my stomach as I glanced back up, staring at the former assassin. My head was tilted to the side slightly as I took in all of his features but mainly the expression within those eyes of his because that's where everything about him hid away.

I didn't see any form of hatred or even a murderous craze blinking at me anymore. Instead, I saw a man who really did want to change and try and let go of everything he did.

My heart and my soul yearned to trust him but one question always lingered within my mind.

Could he really change?