Chapter 7

Jason and I ran back into the hospital, ignoring the water dripping onto the clean floors. Of course we didn't have to ask which floor and room, we had it imbedded in our brains. My heart was beating like crazy as we tried not to ram into any of the nurses who stared at us, bewildered. I didn't care at all, I had to see Percy.

 We almost ran right into Percy's dad who held his hands out to prevent us from falling. I slipped and he grabbed my wrist before I hit the floor. His concerned green eyes made me want to see Percy even more. For some reason, his expression suddenly flashed to fear. He helped me up then hastily let go.

"Apologies," he bemused "Are you two okay? Where are the others?"

"They went ahead of us, we were visiting-" I quickly glanced at Jason "-Thalia, our...other friend."

"Thalia Grace," He glanced at Jason, looking sombre "Is she-"

"Pos-Mr. Jackson, I'm sorry but we'd really like to see Percy." I cut in, desperation crawling through my veins. Hoping that I hadn't hurt Jason's feelings,  I looked at him. But he seemed just as desperate as I was. Mr. Jackson nodded firmly then glanced at the door, looking tense. 

"You two go ahead," He inclined, wiping his forehead. I wanted to assure him that he should be the first to see his son but I was too impatient. Jason smiled warily. 

"You go first, I'll make some excuse when Pen-when the others come up." he said hastily. Smooth, I was pretty sure Mr. Jackson would catch on but fuck it. I took a deep breath and opened the door, cold air blasting my face and the smell of medicine almost knocking me out. Shivering slightly, I moved towards the curtain drawn bed. What was I waiting for?

"Annabeth." I heard him mutter. I let out a sob as I surged forward and ripped the curtain aside. 

"Percy."

I sat next to him and broke down, suddenly wanting to get away from him. He was sitting upright and leaning on some pillows. His wrist was connected to a tube, a blood bag on the left side of his bed. Bandages were peeking out of his hospital clothes and he looked very pale. His lips and fingers were cracked but his eyes were as clear as the ocean. 

"Did you miss me?" He attempted to smile, the dry lines on his lips stretching. I laughed dryly as he cupped the side of my face with his palm. I held onto his wrist.

"How did you know it was me?" I asked, unable to tear my eyes away from his. 

"Your scent," he replied simply "and the hesitation. No one else would have waited to come up to me. Unlike that crazy old nurse Bertha would insists on stripping me. However-" his lips curled into a smirk "I can only think of one woman who can strip me down."

"Shut up."

"Yes ma'am. Also, why are you all wet?"

"It's raining outside Seaweed Brain."

"Silly me."

"Silly you." My eyes wandered down to his shoulder. "Does it hurt?"

"No," he lied. I rolled my eyes and got up. "Well since you're not in any pain, I'll just go then." he grabbed my wrist with surprising strength and pulled me closer, his lips meeting mine. I felt something in my stomach twist as  I cupped the side of his face. I could taste the faint salty taste that he had underneath the medicine and drugs. He was alive and safe.

"Don't ever leave me again."

"Never." he said, my heart mending itself. He wet his lips, looking down at our hands "Annabeth...I-"

The door burst open and we jumped, my hand leaving his. "Percy!" Penny shrieked, running forward. Behind her were the rest of the crowd, including Nico in the back. Leo whooped.