Chapter 12

Annabeth

"It's probably for the best," Penny nodded, thinking "Is everything okay though?"

"Yeah, just some stupid reunion of some sort. I normally wouldn't go, but I felt the need to." I lied, putting on a convincing face. She smiled.

"Well take your time. It'll be a good relaxing time, get away from here. Even Nico's busy with finals so I think we all do need some time off." she smiled, patting my shoulder before walking back into the kitchen. Nico wasn't here, he told me that he'd meet me later. Piper was busy writing something on a piece of paper on the table while Jason and Apollo were watching TV. I hesitated for a moment before sitting down next to them. Jason passed me a glass of orange juice which I took gratefully. Just then the news popped up, Luke's name in big letters on the screen. My stomach churned. Jason reached to switch off the Tv but I stopped him. A picture of Luke was on the screen. He looked younger, the scar on his eye wasn't there. 

"I went down to the station last night," Penny said, putting a plate of toast next to Piper "had to give a statement on where we all were."

"What?" we all chorused. Apollo jumped up, looking angry and Piper was staring at her in shock. "Penny you should've told us." 

"Well I tried, but you three didn't pick up either of your phones." She shrugged, removing her apron and placing it over a chair. Jason, Apollo and Leo had all gone to see Percy last night and didn't return till one in the morning. I had slept in, tired from all the drama that had happened yesterday. I felt a pang of guilt. "You could have woken me up."

"You know I don't do that," Penny said sternly "Nobody likes being woken up after a long day. We all need to catch up on sleep. You included dummy." She added to Piper, who gave her a playful stink eye. Now that I noticed, Piper seemed more tired than usual. Her hair wasn't properly combed and she wasn't even wearing her signature hairstyle. Her hair was just laid down casually over her shoulders and her eyes were slightly puffy.

"But still, you could've told us this morning?" Apollo asked, clearly upset. She put both her hands on his shoulders "I forgot. I'm sorry, okay? But we're not main suspects, as there were witnesses in the scene, along with a street cam. Nobody suspects us of anything, because we're innocent." she smiled, standing on her tip toes and planting a kiss on his cheek. Grumbling, he touched the place where Penny had kissed him gingerly. "Well you still should've told us."

"Eat your toast before it gets cold." she replied, pushing a plate of toast in his hands. We all smirked, knowing that it was impossible for Apollo to stay mad at her. Seeing them both casually showing love to each other made me ache for Percy even more. I had to see him before I left with Nico. Apollo let me borrow his jeep (apparently it was a gift for his sixteenth birthday) and my bags were already packed.

"Anne, when are you leaving?" Penny asked from the kitchen. "In three hours."

"Alright, but say goodbye to Percy before you leave." she said, coming out and pulling up a chair next to Piper. My heart froze. "What, why?" I asked, before biting my tongue "I mean yeah, of course I will."

"Percy throws hissy fits whenever he's left out in the dark," Piper explained, sensing my sudden fear. She winked at me "So when he finds out that his friend left and everybody knows, he might give the nurses a hard time." I wanted to punch her for emphasizing on 'friend', but I nodded thoughtfully.

"Well, I'll say goodbye then." I stood up, sensing everybody's teasing smirks on me. My blood boiled but cooled down when Penny said "Okay, and then I'll pack you up with some of my cookies for you to take on the ride. I really wish you didn't have to drive all the way there alone. Call when you reach, okay?"