009

Robin

I hugged the North Face jacket tighter around my body as I walked from my car to the entrance of the mall. The snow had began to fall over the past few days, luckily not in large amounts, just enough to where it's safe enough to drive in the streets.

With Christmas around the corner, the mall had always started to become packed this time of year. A lesson learned, but constantly forgotten, don't procrastinate buying Christmas gifts because everything happens to be sold out just a week before the holiday.  Not only did I drive here for me, but Violet and Ernie, and this year would be just a tad bit unlike every other, I have the chance to buy gifts for other people. Speaking of Violet, we never do our holiday shopping together for one reason and one reason only.

Joke presents. Gag gifts, literally.

For the past few Christmases we have spent with one another we made a tradition that no matter the amount of actual gifts we receive from one another, whether it be five or none, a joke gift must be bought.

A strict rule we follow. 

These past years presents given have been shirts with horrible innuendos or pictures, things from sex stores, to summarize the gift giving is mainly phallic things that are stuffed into boxes and decorated to look innocent. To tell whether we used or wear these items remained a secret.

But to be open, I typically wore the shirts to bed otherwise they'd just be a waste of fabric if not worn.

I like to think I'm better off with not having a partner to shop around with, however this morning I saw this as chance to call someone new.

Sarah.

I figured that I might as well start a friendship with only other girl I knew, at least in my age range that didn't have to wear scrubs for a living. Plus she mentioned that buying presents is an errand that needed to be ran, why not tag along? I can only assume this was her off day, if it wasn't then she would be elsewhere.

I wonder if to her that everyday is considered more of an off day, she gets paid to what I can only guess began as a hobby when she was younger. The whole band actually. I mean they work hard, it shows, they put so much effort into what they're doing. You basically run on your own schedule, no waking up at absurd times of the night because you received a phone call from the hospital or finally being able to get at least six hours of sleep because you just came home at 7:30 in the morning.

Not bad. This whole series of events could eventually lead up to a decent sleep schedule, these eye bags weren't doing anyone justice, especially since they're genetic.

"Sarah hi".

"Hi, I'm right in front of the Kate Spade store", from her end I could hear the muffled voices of people shouting over articles of clothing, not too different from my end either. "I'm not too far, I'll be there in quick minute or so".

I slid my phone back into my purse and continued walking the short distance to Sarah's location.

Am I regretting this? I have never been on a tinder date, but I can only imagine this is what it feels like.

Weird, almost uncomfortable to meet someone you've hardly talked to.

Maybe it isn't too late to turn back around.

Yup, just two seconds away from meeting her, I would reroute my directions back to the parking lot.

No, not doing that Robin. I'm not cold hearted enough.

Just stick to the original plan, have a conversation, get your things and go.

Maybe that's why I didn't mind shopping alone, I didn't have to wait for someone else while we both go in opposite directions to different stores and end up leaving later than expected. No wonder children hate shopping with their parents, they get bored and want to go home the minute they get here.