VII

Once we were out in the marsh Kie checked the air tanks.

   "This is empty, " She said, " you took empty tanks?" She then checked the last tank, "Okay this one's a quarter full. It's enough for one of us."

   reclining in the driver seat, pope sarcastically remarked, "Love it when a plan comes together."

   "Does anybody know how to dive?" I asked.

  "It's kind of a kook sport," JJ responds.

    Pope adds, "I read about it"

   "Great, Pope read about it, so someone's gonna die," Kiara said sarcastically

   "Look, y-you put the thing in your mouth and breathe. How hard could it be?" contributed JJ.

   "If you come up too fast, nitrogen gets into your blood," Pope warned, "and you get the bends."

   "Like bend over?" JJ asked, sticking his ass out.

   An annoyed pope told him, "The bends kill you"

   Then my stupid brother decided to volunteer himself to go down.  everyone objected at first. Then Pope did his math and for some reason, we said it would be okay.

   "you need to make your safety stop at about... ten feet, " he said, "All right? For two minutes."

 John B responded, "Yeah, yeah. Ten feet, two minutes. Got it" As john B says this, Kie stands at the front of the boat, takes off her shirt, and jumps into the water.

   "What was that all about?" Pope asks

    " I don't know, " JJ replies, "But I liked it. A lot."

   " Seriously?" I scoffed. 

  Changing the subject, JJ instructs., "Uh, when you're down there, you look for the cargo hold. You stick this thing inside and twist and pull, okay?"

   After JJ's wonderful instructions, Kiara climbs back on the boat. "Hey! I tied my T-shirt to the anchor chain about ten feet down." She informs John B, "It's where you need to do your safety stop."

   Pope goes over everything John B needs to do with the oxygen tank, and, as usual, JJ adds his two cents. 

   Before John B goes down, Kie walks over to him and KISSES HIS CHEEK! And he told me no pogue on pogue making. Whos breaking the rule now? Looking over at JJ and Pope, they had the same reaction.

   "diver down?" he asks her.

   "Diver down" She responds. With that John B Jumps into the water. 

     The four of us hang out on the boat while John B dives. That is until we hear the police boat sirens.

    "Beverley, Get in the water," JJ says to me.

     Confused I look at him, "What?"

      "You're not supposed to be in the marsh, " he said frantically, "So get. in. the. water."

    I slid into the water and completely submerged myself. I was basically under the boat. It felt like I was there forever. John B must have found something because he was suddenly right next to me. I was starting to struggle with air and it looked like John B was too. the whole time I could hear faint voices from above me.

    After what felt like an eternity, the police boat left and me and John B came up to the surface.

   " oh god, Jesus Christ," JJ said as we gasped for air,