nerves

Chapter 12: 

Seconds.

I didn't react at first, neither did Alaia. Finding your second was a big deal, and since we were both relatively young, neither of us thought we'd find one so soon. It was shocking to say the least, but I believed Leah. She had no reason to lie to us nor go through all of that trouble of testing out me and Alaia with other people if she really wasn't interested in knowing herself. Plus, the fact that me and Alaia didn't work anywhere near as well with anyone else as we did with each other, it had to be true.

It explained a lot tho. Why Alaia and I could almost predict something about each other before it even happened.

I always thought that finding your second would be this big, revolutionary moment. That the heavens would open up and the sun would shine brighter than ever before. But I felt none of that. Instead, what I felt was more of a gut dropping nervousness, like a cannonball was dropped onto my stomach.

I didn't have a reason to worry, she loved me. Alaia loved me just as much as she loved to drink (she told me so), she loved me with everything in her. I knew the joyful look in her beautiful, brown eyes when she smiles at me, I knew her love is real.

So why...did I feel so nervous?