CHAPTER 16 - Baptism

"So, not that I'm complaining but do I get to know what all that was about?" Owen asked sparing a glance at Lora.

His chest was still heaving as he buttoned up his shirt, and yet, he couldn't help but admire the way the rosy light shone across Lora's skin. Her blissful smile faltered slightly. She lifted her hips, pulled up her trousers and zipped them up.

Owen cupped her cheek and swiped his thumb over her cheekbone until she shifted in her seat to face him. Her eyes held his gaze for a mere two seconds before falling back to her lap.

"How did you know about this place?" she asked, changing the subject.

Owen's face contorted, wishing she had asked him anything but that. "I used to come down here when I was a student."

Lora nodded slowly. She knew what he meant. They were in a valley not far down from the hospital. It was beautiful, secluded. Private. They were parked on a narrow road that led to nowhere. Bamboo and Yucca trees hid the car from view. They could spend an eternity here. Nobody would find them.

"To study?"

Owen couldn't help chuckling at the hope in her voice as he shook his head.

"With girls," she affirmed.

He looked at her before he answered. He had the urge to say yes. Maybe, because he wanted her to think he was cool or maybe, to make her jealous. Maybe, it would have simply been easier if it were true. But he couldn't lie to her.

"Just the one," he said.

There was no sign of her smile now, and Owen felt like that moment just before it rains. She was still beautiful. She was still the root of all life. But he mourned the sunshine nonetheless. 

Her voice was resigned when she next spoke.

"Carla."

"I'm sorry," he said instantly, genuinely. "It was the first place that came to mind and you seemed to be... uh... in a hurry. I didn't think it through."

"It's okay. It's not a big deal," she answered still not looking at him.

"No, it really isn't," Owen agreed softly. "But if it is for you, I get it and I am sorry."

Lora turned her gaze towards the sky. The hues from the setting sun reflected in her eyes made her look like a fallen angel. At that moment, Owen thought he could stare at her forever. She took his breath away. But that was okay. He didn't need to breathe around her. It was the heaviness in his stomach that bothered him.

"Talk to me, beautiful. Tell me what you're thinking."

"Was she your first?" she asked, unaware of the discomfort she was causing him.

Owen Shaw hated talking about his ex-wife, especially with her. But if that was what she needed to quiet her mind, then he would tell her. There were worse things he could, and probably should, tell her after all.

"No."

Lora's face was unreadable. "Was she your last? I mean, before me?"

"No."

She pursed her lips together. "Was there anyone else after me?"

"We literally just had sex!" he joked. She smiled. He smiled back.

"You know what I mean!"

He fixed his green gaze on her to show her that he was dead serious. "I am not involved in any way with anyone but you right now. And, if it helps, the last time I slept with a girl was a very long time ago."