Chapter 2

We reached the park in 5 minutes. Pros of it being so close to the school. The weather was completely different from the morning. At this moment it was windy but warm, not too hot nor too cold. As the wind blew all kinds of spring smells were mingling around and mixing together - creating something unique for us to smell. I always adored spring because of the smells and the sadness it brought me every year.

"So..." I said, breaking the uncomfortable silence "Why did you move here?" I asked him.

"It's a really long story"

Jean's soft yet sad smile said it all so I just brushed the topic off by asking him if he wanted to see my favorite part of this park. When he agreed to it I showed him the place - a huge tree on a little hill. This place always felt like some fever dream, because how could a beautiful place like this truly exist?

"It's beautiful, I've never seen something so..." Jean couldn't find the right words to describe this place.

"So magical?" I asked by finishing his sentence.

He just nodded and we walked off towards the exit. We stopped by the flooded river with a bunch of blossoms drowning in it. The sun was warming our faces, the wind was giving us extra fresh air until everything stopped when he touched my hair. I stood still and breathed in deeply when I brushed off his hand.

"You had something in your hair"

His smile fell to the ground when he saw my face, I told him to never do that again and then we walked home in complete silence. After some time I felt really bad, but gladly we were almost in front of my house.

"Thanks"

"For what?" Jean asked coldly, not a hint of the warm smile from before "For ruining the day? Yeah, no problem" He turned around and walked away from me.

As he was doing so I yelled and corrected him from a far: "No. For walking with me"

I didn't want this new guy to think of me badly, the least I could do is to stay on good terms with him. Jean turned to face me from afar, his face was a bit surprised, just when I thought that he's going to say something he turned away and turned right - to another street.

Have I told you that my social skills were poor? Well that sure was a good example. At least I don't feel as bad now.

I sighted and went to my door, but they were unlocked.

"Strange" I thought.

The inside of the house smelled of freshly cooked meals - a rare smell, since neither me nor Kai can cook. We rather order pizza or just snack all day. I walked into the kitchen and without noticing it I gasped. My mom was in the kitchen and she was cooking as well.

"Hi!" Mom shrieked and went in for a hug, meanwhile I stood there not knowing how to react "I haven't seen you in a while" She looked me up and down.

"Well it's not like it's because of me, is it?" I bit her.

She didn't hear me or she just chose not to and went back to cooking. There were pots boiling and something cooking in the cooker as well.

"Here, peel those"

I heard an order and I did as I was told, she didn't even let me go change my clothes, so they got a little dirty. I just looked at her in disbelief, after a few months of not seeing her the one of the first words she says to me is "peel those" ? Ironic, a little funny even.

"How was school?" She asked.

"Great" I lied.

"Did you really go or are you lying to us again" She stopped moving around the kitchen and stared at me.

"Don't you ever wonder why I lied to you?" This time I was the one who asked.

"Answer my question, Kaya" She ordered me coldly.

I let out a sigh expressing tiredness: "I did go to school" After that no questions flew my way, she was satisfied and so was I.

Not long after - Kai came home, he was just as surprised with seeing mom as I was. I was jealous of their small talk not being awkward and of the atmosphere around them being peaceful. The atmosphere that surrounded me and mom was nowhere close to being peaceful, but that might've been because of me. I gave up on that relationship ages ago. Another thing which made me mad was how she treated Kai with such extra care, she would let anything slide past her if it was because of Kai. I usually think that mom thinks of me as a house maid, who is supposed to help around the house, cook and clean as well. Since Kai is a boy, she doesn't say anything to him but I'm glad he helps me with chores at last.

"Need help?" Kai asked and I only nodded.

"No sweetie, she can manage it on her own, go rest, I'm sure it was a tiring day" Mom brushed his arm up and down and I just rolled my eyes over and over again.

"It's alright, Kaya you go - I'll finish"

I thanked him and made my way upstairs to my room. I missed my room already, I missed the dark grey almost blue even walls that surrounded me. That big mirror to which I was staring at today and my lovely bed. My backpack suddenly hit the floor and I hit the bed. I was tired. The simple conversations with people tire me out all the time, not to mention school because it's slowly killing me when I think about it. When one thought flew over another I remembered that I have missed many assignments due to me slacking off these past months... Just great, wish I could sink into my bed and never ever leave it. Sleep forever and disappear. But then I got up, switched clothes and went to do these assignments with a bunch of homework on top of that. The dreadful feeling of wanting to disappear never left my brain, not until dad came home and the dinner time started.