Chapter 11

The end of the school year was slowly approaching and the summer had just begun when my parents returned home and Jay had left. He left with a promise to come back later, maybe once the real summer heat hit or in late August.

It was strange seeing Mom making dinner, and Dad washing the dishes afterwards. Each morning the house was full of noises and fights. Although it's been a week of them being here, me and Kai couldn't get used to it. Whenever I wished to go out at night my parents interfered, worrying about my safety. Dad allowed me to go out only when he bought a pepper spray, and Mom once she figured out with whom I was going.

One Sunday evening when we were having a simple dinner Kai decided to become a jerk and that led to many anxiety hours of mine:

"So... Kaya, how are the things with Jean?" He wiped his mouth smirking afterwards.

My parents both looked at me waiting for the answer, someone had been caught in my throat and I began choking. Dad looked at Mom with a small smile.

"It's alright, he's a good friend, why?" I answered immediately after catching my breath.

"Oh nothing, you two just seem so close," An evil smile had spread on Kai's face. I kicked him under the table, "Ouch!" He laughed in false agony.

"Why don't you invite the young man over," Dad was the first to suggest, his raised eyebrows and crossed arms patiently waiting for an answer.

"Bring him over for dinner." Mom sipped wine from her glass not breaking away from my eyes.

"I'll try," I breathed out.

Kai beside me was happy he had the chance to fool around, but I wouldn't let that slide so easily.

"Kai, I always see you with some girl in the school hallway, who is she?" This time my evil smile came in clutch.

Kai's smile was wiped clean when mom stopped eating and looked at both of us:

"My friend." Everyone looked around looking for a more detailed answer. "Lola." Kai hit me under the table forcing a peal of laughter out of me, he was as stiff as rock.

"Why don't you invite her as well?" I suggested looking at Mom to make sure my plan worked.

"Finally, one normal idea." Mom shrugged her shoulders stabbing me a little with her words. "We'll have dinner this Thursday, I'll need to prepare something fancy."

"About time," Dad laughed kissing Mom on the cheek, it seemed as if he was the only one in this room happy about the dinner.

...

The next day at school I tried to bring the dinner up when talking with Jean, but it just didn't come out of my mouth. Dinner with the whole family was an insane idea, I knew it meant more to some people. Usually, dinners like that meant presenting your boyfriend, girlfriend or just your person to your family. Jean wasn't near that title, I didn't want him to get the wrong memo, especially after the recent events.

"You talked with your boy yet?" Kai asked me once I had set foot in the house. He was playing video games with Dad.

"Shut up," I slowly said with gritted teeth. Before I could even take off my shoes, Mom's head was in the doorway, patiently waiting. "I didn't have a chance to ask yet," I rolled my eyes. She only scoffed and returned to the kitchen.

The kitchen was covered in an utter mess, the spice smell was all over the place and the tedious silence hung in the air.

"Will you help me or..?" Mom motioned to the mess she had made herself.