iv. faultless figures of virtuous discourse

Kakashi, despite his better judgment, did not report Sakura. There didn't seem to be a point in getting her in trouble. She had learned her lesson after a long night spent burying the Akatsuki's victims. It had been educational for Kakashi as well—he had not known how troubled she had been in the aftermath of Naruto's first departure.

No, that wasn't true.

He had chosen not to see how troubled she was in the aftermath of Naruto's departure.

When Kakashi hadn't been paying attention, she had grown up. It had been easy to write her off, in the early days of training the trio of them. Truthfully, he had written all three of them off, until it became clear that Naruto and Sasuke could both be a safety hazard without proper supervision.

And so Sakura had slipped through the cracks, and grown into a proper knight. Squire. He had to keep reminding himself that she was not a full knight yet. Although to see her, confidently stride into a ruin, looking for survivors, pink hair haloed about her and sword in hand, anyone would think that she was a true-blooded knight of Konoha. Braver, even, than most of the fighters already sworn into service.

She would be fearsome someday, facing Konoha's enemies. Be it as a medic or ready for the front lines, he could see it now: Sakura in plate armor, sword in hand as she charged into the battlefield-

"You're distracted." Tsunade's voice cut through his thoughts sharp-edged and demanding.

Yes, of course, he was distracted. He was in the middle of the second day of strategy meetings after a night spent burying the dead with his former student.

How could he not be distracted?

Never mind that his thoughts were not on strategy, not even a little.

"Hardly" Kakashi lied. "I'm just allowing you all to reach your decisions. As usual, I will be there to implement them once the council can agree."

Tsunade raised her eyebrows in exasperation, leaned back in her chair, and uncorked a bottle of rice wine before the noon bell had even rung.

"If you weren't distracted," she purred, "you would know we've already reached a decision."

Shit.

"Ah," Kakashi said.

"Ah indeed," Tsunade mocked. "In their infinite wisdom, it seems the council has chosen to host a tournament."

Kakashi leaned forward, already tired of what was the ensue.

"As in-"

"Yes, jousting and fanfare and trumpets." Tsunade cut him off. "It seems that our new king requires a champion before he can be crowned."

From the ire radiating off of Tsunade, Kakashi could tell that she was as angry about this decision as he would be... once the stubborn reality of it ever sank in.

"Can't he just pick?" Kakashi blurted out. "He would know who best to choose—hell, I'm sure he can fight his own battles."

"It's tradition," Danzo cut Kakashi off. "And it would restore the people's faith in Naruto." Not King Naruto, Kakashi noticed. From the smug way he spoke, Kakashi could see he was the ringleader of this scheme. Behind him, several other council members nodded their heads in agreement, although Kakashi could see Inoichi Yamanaka scowling. As spymaster, he would never feel comfortable with such a large event while Konoha was practically under siege.

That was the problem with a tournament. It would bring audiences and competitors, even foreign ones eager to join the court of Konoha or test an unbloodied young king. So many cracks to slip through, and it would be Kakashi and Inoichi's jobs to make sure no one took advantage of them.