II. Second Interlude

Sasuke took a sip of his wine, swilling it over his tongue. It wasn't a particularly good wine; rich and fruity with just enough of the taste of summer rotting into fall. If his companion thought the wine was not up to par, it did not show on his face.

No, Shikamaru Nara was the ultimate diplomat, raised at the knee of Konoha's lord of secrets. He would never permit himself to do something so pedestrian as insulting his host.

For it had been by Sasuke's invitation that he supped in the Champion's quarters. It was in the hour just past midnight, the hour best meant for hidden trysts and clandestine exchanges. It was Sasuke's native time of day. He was not Naruto, who displayed his heart for all to see and did not care if the entire kingdom knew his thoughts.

"It seems the rebuilding efforts will be complete in time for winter," Sasuke said, taking another sip of the mediocre wine. He hated small talk, but knew well that it could be used to put others at ease. He was not as studied in court manners as he should have been—having spent four years haunting the ramshackle castle Orochimaru called a "court" had not demanded much in the way of ballroom conversation. But he knew Shikamaru valued such niceties. "Perhaps we will not have to wade through the city snow."

"You're certainly taking your time," Shikamaru said at last. "When are you going to shed your serpent's skin and show your true colors?"

Sasuke's hand stilled. He took a deep inhale through his nose and grabbed a piece of cheese off the plate between them. The sticky brie gave him something to savor while he put his words together. This was a matter to be handled delicately, and Shikamaru in particular demanded a light touch.

"I shouldn't have expected any less from you," he finally said. "Let me cut down to the bone of this matter. It is clear that Konoha is in shambles. It is as obvious as the ruin of the castle."

Underestimating Shikamaru would be a grave mistake, one that would ensure the heir to the Nara family would never trust him. But sharing too much, too quickly, would cut through the fragile threads of their alliance.

Shikamaru stared down his nose at Sasuke, his expression utterly devoid of emotion. Unlike Naruto or Sakura, Sasuke had never been able to read his thoughts. But Shikamaru was not a fool, although he made himself out to be lazy and disinterested in anything more serious than an afternoon nap. This ruse was the very thing that had drawn Sasuke's attention.

But, his cleverness gave Shikamaru a kind of internal consistency. For all his obtuse behavior, it was easy to draw the lines of his motivation if only one knew where to look.

As the Akatsuki's attacks on Konoha continued, only a fool would support the laws against sorcery. Sorcery, as it was passed down through the lines of the noble families of Konoha, was one of the few things that might hold the onslaught back. Even if the Nara family did not possess their own family abilities; Shikamaru was no fool. He would never tolerate such a blatant weakness in the castle's defenses.

Now that Tsunade had been tried for her crimes, it would be obvious to the intelligent observer that anyone was at risk. The Nara family commanded power over shadows, immobilizing their enemies in battle. Sasuke had seen him use his ability on Hidan of the Akatsuki. There were certain to be other witnesses. Shikamaru would not be oblivious to the target this painted on his back.

"Danzo could come for any of us, at any moment," Sasuke said. "He won't be satisfied with Tsunade's death. Royal blood did not protect her, and our family names will not protect us."

At the invocation of Tsunade's name, Shikamaru's gaze flickered with something dark and intense. He narrowed his gaze as he observed Sasuke, as if analyzing every twitch of his muscles. The regent had been popular. Sakura was not the only one who carried a grudge over her fate.