xxv. those who lived by the sword

Kakashi stood at the gate, waiting for Konan's signal. The wind was a bitter chill against the exposed skin of his face. They had chosen the height of winter for this, the day after the longest night of the year. The drop in temperature would make for bitter fighting.

If it could even begin at all. As he waited, Kakashi could not help but wonder if the Akatsuki woman would appear at all. He still did not understand the shifting tides of her loyalties, but he trusted the fury in her gaze when she spoke of Sasuke and his army of monsters. And he needed her.

He could not afford to be wrong. Nor could he afford to let his concern show on his face.

It had become obvious that he was the one who served as the leader here. Konoha's army, a combination of the guard, the remnants of Danzo's army looked to him for leadership. The remaining squires had also fallen in line behind his orders. King Naruto had readily surrendered leadership at his arrival.

Now, any shift in his mood would radiate out through his fighters like poison. And like poison, it could be fatal for their attack.

But before Kakashi could begin to form contingency plans, Konan appeared over the walls. She landed silently before Kakashi and nodded, once.

The others were in position.

It was not quite relief that washed over him, but it was close. A grim acceptance. A readiness.

Kakashi lifted a hand, signaling for the gates to open. In his youths, the sounds of trumpets and war drums would announce the troops before a fight, rallying each side's fighters into a froth of violence and bloodlust. There was none of that today. The gate had been well oiled so that no creaking would betray their actions to any of the waiting monsters. Orders had been distributed in advance, and fighters streamed out of Konoha in silence. He had spent hours ensuring that each of them knew their position, knew what role to play when the battle turned to chaos.

This battle demanded the cover of dimly lit dawn and surprise—for surprise was the best chance they had.

So Kakashi knew each of his fighters and knew what order they would leave the city. A lone figure towards the end of the line caught his attention immediately. The outlier wore a hooded navy cloak to shroud his identity. It was a valiant attempt at disguise, but Kakashi knew every one of his men, just as he knew every member of the town.

And he could certainly recognize Naruto by his gait alone.

The figure passed by Kakashi, not looking up. This was a mistake, as it gave Kakashi the advantage he needed to grip Naruto by his hood and yank it down, instantly revealing the King's face.

"Absolutely not," Kakashi said.

Naruto glared up at him, his bottom lip curled in petulance.

"I'm the king," he said. "I decide where I go."

A king only in name. The words were almost out of his mouth before Kakashi's iron self-control stepped in. Naruto had given up all semblance of command, content to let Tsunade and then Danzo, and now Kakashi himself run things in his stead. But that did not mean Naruto was meaningless. A king was still a symbol. A rallying point. And Kakashi could not afford to let his fighters watch such a symbol die.

But Naruto would never understand that. He did not see himself as a symbol or leader, he saw himself as the same as any other warrior on the battlefield. To say differently would only cement his drive to join the fight and solidify his resentment for Kakashi. "As the king, we need you alive," Kakashi fired back. "Imagine the succession crisis if you died."