17 • News

"You weren't fucking kidding about the cold babe, oh my god." James complained for the fifth time as he rubbed his hands together to try and stay warm.

I smiled at him as his cheeks and nose were bright red. We were waiting outside of Red Deer airport for the cab my dad organized to come collect us and take us to where we're staying.

"I wasn't lying." I told him as he stuffed his hands away in his pockets.

We were finally here, Canada. Everything was working out fine but it was so early in the morning I could see the tiredness in James eyes. He needed rest.

There were people around us also trying to get cabs and while we waited with our luggage another cab pulled up to the curb.

"Cab for Addison and James!" The driver said while stepping out of the car.

"That's us." I smiled at James and he helped me carry my things before the driver helped us put them into the trunk.

We got into the car and shared small talk with the cab driver before it was silent and we enjoyed the rest of the drive along with the warm air inside the cab.

I was incredibly happy to be here. James smiled back at me as I looked out of the window excitedly. He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me to his chest and he rested his chin on top of my head. I took this as an opportunity to listen to his heart beat and feel relaxed. I was still so nervous for James to meet my dad, but I thought they'd get along just fine.

After about a 30 minute drive James shook me a little as I'd fallen asleep on his chest and I looked up at him and then out the window.

"We're here." James said softly and kissed my temple.

Memories of my childhood came flooding back into my mind so suddenly I just gasped.

My dad had a lake house a little outside of town and it was beyond gorgeous. I remember staying there with him while I was younger and feeling the happiest I'd ever felt in my life. I missed it so much.

"This place is beautiful." James said as he was getting out of the car.

I'd been staring for a while. It made me hurt a little but then I looked back at James and remembered why we are here. I was so thankful that my dad still wanted to see me after the years I spent away from him, selfishly hiding like a scared little girl.

"You okay?" James asked and I quickly nodded before getting out of the cab too.

"Would you like help with your things?" The man asked as we grabbed our stuff out of the trunk.

"We're okay. Thank you though." James smiled to the man and for some reason my heart just gushed at how polite he always spoke to people.

We went up to the door and like my dad promised, the key was under the mat in front of the large wooden doors.

"I feel like my 12 year old self." I giggled as I got the key and put it into the lock.

"You look so happy." James commented and I simply smiled at him in response.

We stepped inside and James dropped our bags.

I looked around and admired how everything was the exact same and still so beautiful. I saw James with his mouth opened, looking around the place.

"Your dad must have a lot of money." He smirked and I tapped his chest.

"James." I giggled and he came closer to me.

He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me off the ground, I wrapped my arms and legs around his hips and hugged him tightly.

"I love you." He whispered in my ear and my heart took off racing.