☆ 02 | Beating ☆

Dear Mumma,

Yesterday was a horrible day. I woke up again to a wet bed like always. I don't know why but I just can't seem to control myself. The other day, I had peed my pants during the day, but thankfully, Aunt Petunia had gone out to pick up Dudley, so I was able to clean up the mess before she found out. However, today she found out because she rarely comes to my cupboard to wake me up: she usually shouts from the kitchen more, but today she yanked the cupboard door open, dragging me out by the collar, complaining about the lazy freak I am. Before I could do anything to hide my accident from her, she yanked me out of my little cupboard, calling me a baby and threatening to tell Uncle Vernon when he returned. Dudley also laughed, running out and shouting for his friend, making fun of me in front of everyone. Aunt Petunia handed me a list of chores and told me to complete them before Uncle Vernon returned unless I wanted his belt connected to my backside and a week without any food. I started with the garden, watering the plants then going inside to clean up the living room. As the day went by, I tried to complete as much work as possible, without even drinking water, because Aunt Petunia refused to give me anything to eat or drink before I finished the list of chores, but the list seemed endless.

I was done setting the table for dinner when a knock sounded at the door. I could hear Uncle Vernon grumbling about his day, and I could sense he was not in a good mood at all, plus Aunt Petunia telling him about my accident only made things worse. My heart clenched with fear as I heard him enter the room and take out his leather belt from the loops of his pants.

The beating is a bit hazy: he beat me until I was bleeding, and he was sure that not one spot was left free of bruises on my body. The next thing I remembered, he threw me into my cupboard as he slammed the doors in my face, locking it on the outside. That was when I realized I had wet my pants during the beating.

I cried myself to sleep, waking up hungry with a dry throat, a wet bed, and my whole body aching as if an elephant had run over me. I am really sorry, Mumma. I am such a freak, but I really don't know how to control myself or get Aunt Petunia to love me. I wish you were here to help me. I wish I had someone to love me like the Dursleys love Dudley. I just wish I didn't get you killed in that car accident.

Lots of love, Harry

*****

Severus was seething with anger at the Dursleys and himself as he read a few more entries containing similar details. How could he miss the signs when he had gone through all of it himself?

The boy he had thought to be spoiled and pampered was far from what he had thought.

He flipped a few pages which mainly contained the daily routine of the boy. He was amazed by how beautifully the boy wrote with a pencil when he could barely make out what the boy wrote as his homework.