Chapter Eight

Gone Like The Wind

656 words

----BEFORE----

Night had fallen. Ana stopped trying to call Toni hours ago, letting her mind drift away as she stared at her ceiling. Her stomach hurt, twisted in knots tightening with every breath. She couldn't stop thoughts from running through her head, something was wrong, but Ana just couldn't place it. Something didn't feel right, she sat up in her bed staring at her TV, not even a little bit tired despite it nearly being 3 o'clock in the morning. She rubbed her eyes deciding to get out of bed, slipping off the sheets and walking towards the door exiting quietly into the dark hallway. She wandered down the stairs and into the kitchen, careful not to make any noise as she crept towards the sink grabbing a glass and filling it with cold water.

She took a sip staring at the ground before the sound of smashing glass made her jump dropping her water glass on the ground, her entire body turning to the glass sliding door seeing a man standing there, a ski mask and all black clothing staring right at her. She went to scream until she sawit, a gun pointed right at her. "Don't make a fucking sound." Ana put her hands up, her eyes watering as the feeling of goosebumps crawled up her spine, her hands shaking with fear.

"P-please don't shoot me." "I don't want to shoot anyone, just give me the money Courtney." "Who's C-Courtney? M-My name is Ana. Anastasia." Ana shook with fear as the man stepped closer still holding his gun up. "Fuck, fuck!" The sudden sound of footsteps coming down the stairs made Ana turn to look, seeing Beverly running down the stairs, everything felt like slow motion as a gunshot rang out and Beverly was falling down the stairs with a blood-curdling scream. Ana didn't process anything before her legs were moving and she was at Beverly's side picking her up from the ground until her eyes settled on her stomach, red liquid seeping through her shirt.

Ana was on her knees holding the little girl in her arms, looking up to the man that was staring at them in shock, the gun falling from his hand and onto the floor. Ana then looked down at her sister through her blurry eyes. "A-Ana?" Her sister sputtered out, blood droplets splashing onto Ana's face dripping down as tears fell from Ana's tears. "Shh, baby it's okay. Don't talk, okay? You're gonna be okay just save your strength." By then more footsteps came running down the stairs Ana's parents looked at the scene in shock, blood splattered on the wall where Beverly had been hit, their dying daughter on the ground in the arms of a distraught girl shaking in fear, and a man standing there realizing what he'd done.

Her father was screaming, her mother sobbing, her other sisters standing in shock at Ana rubbing her sister's cheek trying to bring comfort to the little girl that was slowly running out of energy. "It's okay baby. It's okay." Her sister sputtered a bit more blood hitting Ana in the face as she sobbed hugging her sister's slowly dying body close to her. "It's okay baby, you can let go." She whispered, placing a kiss on her sister's forehead. "I-I-I love y-you sissy." Ana let out a choked cry smiling down at her sister. "I love you too baby." And just like that, her sister was gone. Nothing but a limp body left in Ana's arms, the sounds around her going into a blur, her eyes never leaving her sister even when muffled cop sirens came from outside or even when a cop came over to her.

She never looked away, she only silently sobbed on the ground petting her sister's hair, whispering things to the body that was no longer listening no matter how much Ana cried, the reality was still there. Her sister was gone.