Chapter 12: Clever Fools

A few moments after, deep within Turquoise Forrest, Rion walked through the forest being illuminated by two floating fireballs, as he walk he saw some huge crystals across the ground, he then saw some insects but entirely composed of gemstones, they were assorted by rubies, amethysts, opal, sapphire and may more. Rion simply smirked and continued walking.

Turquoise Forrest is a forest filled with great minerals and gems which is said remnants of the crystal beasts. These beast where the Dark Lord’s own creation which proved quite elusive but hold great danger. These beast vary from small insects to bears, lions or other common animals. They don’t eat and reproduce by if shattered, they shall grow as another being. They are immune to magic which made them harder to kill caused a lot of problems during the war. After the Dark Lord’s  fall, these beasts moved into the forest as their home.

There some warriors who tried to kill these beast for such value but since they are strong and might grow more in number, they’ve decided to ban anyone going through the forest and be avoided at all cost. On the other hand. Rion reached a nearby lake. He decided to rest a bit for a some water. As he walks towards it he saw a crow cawing by the lake side, it’s eyes are made of sapphire and it’s entire body is composed of black diamonds. Despite it’s appearance it can fly as same as a regular crow. It flew close to Rion and landed on it’s shoulder. Rion touched it’s head and sat at the grass.

” Hmm, it seems you recognize me little one”. The crow cawed and flew up circling around him.” In time you shall once roam Emporium, just be patient”. The crow cawed and left. Rion simply sighed and rest for a bit, but then he heard some rustles by the bushes. Rion looked at the bushes and he saw some shadow figures running around. All of sudden arrows flew towards him, but Rion swiftly teleported and evaded the arrows. He then looked around and another volley of arrows flew to him, but this he made the arrows stop by mid air and broke them. Then some brawn and scrawny men appeared. Some were holding swords while others have axes, then some hooded men accompanying a short woman slowly walked in the area.

The hooded men seemed to be mages while the short looking woman dressed like a thief. Rion simply stood and waited. “ So it’s true, the scoundrel of Magister is here, tehehehe, well the gold will be worth it”. “ It’s Prince Rion to you, pipsqueak”.

The woman seemed agitated.” Hey I’m not a pipsqueak, I’m not that small.”.” Let me guess, your 4’9 are you”. The woman grinned.” I’m not, who cares about my height, don’t you know who I am, I’m Nina del Mir”. “ Del Mir, so you’re a member of the Del Mir family”.” Hehehe, you’re correct, my family is known as one of the best thieves in Emporium, and it just happens our spies saw you, Prince Rion”. Rion smirked.

” Well I was already expecting some company, I just paid no attention to insignificant insects”. The others seemed agitated, especially Nina.” Mock us all you want, but capturing you dead or alive is still a win for us”. The men prepared themselves. Rion then whistled and for a few moments, a crystal crow flew by and dropped a small shard of crystal. It was a black diamond.

” A black diamond, huh, well gems will not save you prince”. Rion smirked and in a few moments, he directed his arm upward, as if he is wielding a  sword, all of a sudden, the black diamond was slowly transformed into a fine looking sword. “ How did you?”.” Well alchemy has it’s perks”. Regardless, the other thieves decided to continue their attack but with ease, Rion slashed through them easily. Four of them immediately fell. Nina and the rest were intimidated but still determined.

“ The rumors are true, you truly are master of the sword and the arts of magic, but I’m not giving up, mages it’s your turn”. The mages then begun casting their spells but even before they can finish, Rion casted a powerful beam of light and in a few seconds. The mages turned to stone. The remaining thieves were struck with fear and decided to leave.” He’s to powerful, Run!”. “Scatter!”. Nina on the other hand.

” Get back here you cowards”. Then Rion swiftly moved towards her. Nina was surprised and seemed crippled at her current spot. Rion simply smirked as he removed the bits of blood that stained his sword by swaying it swiftly, then he turned the sword into a ring. Nina remained silent and froze. She was sweating due to her current state. “ It seems your confidence was just an act, how about facing me with pride instead of standing like an old scarecrow”.

Nina gulped but with the last of her courage and pride as a thief. “ Well…… my comrades…….. may have left but……I…”. Nina froze out of fear. Rion stared at her but in a while moved away.” Well for you to have the courage to follow me, your quite brave, well because of that, how about a offer”.” What offer?”.” If you provide your expertise in my own benefits, I’ll spare your life and I shall reward you well”. Nina thought It out.” You’re offer seems nice, in this situation, but how can I assure you will not double-cross me”.     

  ” Well if you don’t double-cross me, it’s a win-win for the both of us”. Nina deeply thought about it.” Fine, fine I accept your offer”. Rion smiled.” Very well let us proceed”. Rion walked and continued his journey. ” Hey don’t ignore me, wait”. Nina followed suit. Wolves howled through the cool night.