00. prologue

❈ ════ •⊰❂⊱• ════ ❈

TW! Violence against children! Sad boi hours!

"Stasya! Where are you?"

Stumbling over her skirt of lace and velvet, Yekaterina ran through the trees with her head of red-brown curls darting left and right. The girl continued to trip over the tree roots and with a panicked tone she called out, "Stasya? Mumma said not to walk so far away from the camp!"

A twinkle of giggles floated through the air and Yekaterina found the culprit of her stresses, crouched on the forest floor. The child looked up and giggled, "Katya, look! I made stars!"

With her golden ringlets that appear to be woven from the sun's rays and doll-like features, Anastasiya looked like a saint's dream. Also dressed in delicate lace and velvet, she stood out from the forest floor, like a pearl amongst stones, a ray of sun in a sea of clouds. Looking up at her sister she unfolded her palms and a ball of golden light the size of a pea floated up, illuminating her hair to a white-gold and her sisters a coppery red.

Yekaterina let out a squeak of fear and grabbed her sister's hands, "Stasya! What are you doing? Mumma said no magic!"

"But! It's so pretty!", Anastasiya pouted as she watched the light flicker out, "It's only starlight!"

"No! You know you can't do it. Papa hates witch magic. Mumma says so too."

"But I'm not a witch Katya. Witches are bad people who hurt other people. I don't do that. Not me."

Yekaterina ran her thumb over the blonde's knuckles, "You're my sister. Of course you're not one of them. I-!"

A snap of a branch.

Both girls' heads turned towards the noise and as they slowly both stood up searching for the source of the sound, a nasally boy's voice sneered out,"Oi look! Two wittle, wittle girls all alone in the woods!"

The tall grasses rustled and fell flat, revealing three boys all laughing with mean looking grins. 

Yekaterina, ever the protective older sister, positioned herself between Anastasiya and the boys. With a scowl she piped up at the newcomers, "What do you want?"

The boy in the middle with dirty brown curls sneered, "Well we couldn't help but notice that blondie over there was doing some witchy things ya'know?" 

The boy on the left's greasy black hair shook as he laughed while the boy on the right had carroty red hair kept throwing a rock up in the air and catching it in his hand.