Hopelessness

Orion's stomach churned uncomfortably, the stress getting to him.

In the back of his mind, he wished he paid more attention to what Regulus said and did, but every time he visited Regulus it felt like the boy was getting thinner and thinner. Worse, he quickly realized Regulus was thin when he went in, but that Orion thinking he was getting thinner and thinner might simply have to do with him finally noticing that Regulus was too thin. As such, he took what he could to Azkaban for his boy, even asked him about the books he brought.

"Are you bothered by the fact you won't be taking your NEWTs in a few weeks?" Orion asked once those got close.

Regulus flinched. "It's kind of a relief, not studying for them?"

Except, they both knew Regulus didn't have to study for his NEWTs like other children, what with his ability to memorize the details he read. This ability came across as they discussed the books Regulus read, with his son having remembered things he'd not remembered. Orion also had the feeling that Regulus was displeased about not being able to take his NEWTs.

The same thing happened when it came time for his peers to graduate. The boy brushed it off as if it were nothing, but Orion wondered what kind of dreams and aspirations Regulus would have had for himself once he graduated.

"As the heir to the Black family, he doesn't need to worry about that," Walburga quipped.

"Except he wasn't always the heir, was he?" Orion noted. "And father was always the heir, yet he chose to become a healer did he not? Imagine Regulus..."

"Stop. Please, Orion. Don't. It's not fair to him."

"That's what I was trying to say, my dear."

Except, Regulus didn't seem to think it unfair, telling him that he deserved to be there in Azkaban, that he was paying the price for his crimes.

There were those who agreed with Regulus, including it seemed Sirius, unfortunately. Regulus was yet another Death Eater out of sight and out of mind, so it didn't matter if he didn't do anything wrong. It didn't matter that he just turned seventeen. It didn't matter that he wouldn't get to take his NEWTs, like every other child in wizarding society was allowed to do. It didn't matter that he wouldn't get to graduate, like every other child in wizarding society got the chance to do.

Regulus, after all, was the only known Death Eater to be of Hogwarts age, but all Death Eaters were villains to wizarding society.

Some didn't let them live down the fact they felt Regulus was a villain, which would often bring Walburga home in a rant, raving about how they were wrong about their darling boy. Orion came out of his study at times, hearing her crying from a nearby room only to stop before he managed to get inside to console her, but they were both breaking.

"It's a pity really. I mean, Regulus was such a sweet boy," was perhaps the only consolation, unless one counted the follow up of, "We expected that of Sirius, to be honest."

Those were the ones more likely to sympathize with them, yet even those who were bothered by the fact Regulus didn't receive a trial, wouldn't take his NEWTs let alone graduate were far and few between. This followed through to the ministry, which didn't bother looking into the matter.

"He turned himself in, so what does it matter?" Bartimus Crouch Senior told him once, possibly more than once. "You might as well give up, but it would do your family good to reconcile with the child who got away, who had the right idea." Orion of course reacted, to which the man responded. "Oh, don't go into a huff as you know I am right, or are you going to continue with this Pureblood supremacy? You should know that those who think that way are becoming less and less welcome in wizarding society."

"How would you feel if it was your own son?" Orion asked.

"My son wouldn't," the man sniffed. "You should have paid more attention to what your son was doing rather than believing he was actually studying for his NEWTs."

He wanted to throttle the man, only for Arcturus to pull him away. "I know it frustrates you Orion, but reacting will make it much harder to prove Regulus doesn't belong there, and you know it. We'll get him out, but I've lawyers working on it."

"Lawyers?" Orion scoffed. "You do realize the papers are saying we're trying to buy Regulus' way out of prison? Please tell me you aren't trying to do that?"

Arcturus looked at him. "Don't be silly. As much as I hate to say it, Regulus is safer in there than out here, but if he were out here he would be a prisoner in his own home, would he not?"

"Are you kidding me? Are you saying you won't try to get him out until that monster is defeated? Are you telling me it is going to be impossible, what with the fact it's impossible to defeat that monster?"

"I'm thinking about that. I am Orion, but you need to keep your wits about you." Arcturus paused, then said, "Though I will admit that I am bothered by the daunting task. I'm not going to rest, Orion, until that boy is home, safe in his bed, so Walburga can lock him up to his heart's content."

"That isn't funny."

"I'd talk her down eventually, but you know Azkaban takes its tole health-wise."

"Please. I already notice how thin Regulus is. Don't rub it in. Please don't."

"That wasn't my intent, but I have noticed that he is a little on the thin side when I visited, but I think he was before he went in. He was always a small child, though, so I'm hoping that's the case."

"You know as I do as does everyone else how the prisoners are treated there." They had to get Regulus out, but to the world, Regulus was a villain and thus the world seemed to be dead set against them, which only made Orion's stomach churn even more.