The Girl on Fire-Part 6

The marble floors were shining, showing Anastasia's tired reflection. It took hours but she had finally finished. Every day after her work she met Erik on the roof, and they went down to his home to practice. It was becoming very taxing physically, and certainly mentally. The only way she was able to summon any type of flame was to think of her parents, or the fact of how little she knew of them. But the goal was that she would be able to do it easily, without struggle. An upcoming opera was all anyone could talk about. Ill Muto or something else of the sort, but all she could focus on was being ready for the new year. It was in a few months, and her position in the ballet corps relied on her alone. She wanted this position, this new life so badly. But the fear that she wouldn't be ready had been hovering over her for several days. But over the past few hours she had ample time to think, and she could feel the anger within her growing.  Nothing in her life was ever fair, could Erik even ensure her this position? Rumors said that they had been ignoring his demands, so why would they listen to him for her position in the ballet? The odds were so slim that exerting herself like this felt so pointless. Night was beginning to fall, and almost everyone had gone home. 

         But not Anastasia. She would have a few more hours of work, and then struggle to sleep again. Was any of this worth it? The question ran through her hand as she made her way up towards the roof. Once she was there she waited by the ledge as usual. Erik was late. It only infuriated her more, she gripped her hands into fists and felt her nails digging into her palms. Perhaps he had given up on her, he knew she couldn't do this. She knew she couldn't do this. 

      No. No! Everything in her life had been stolen from her. He memories, her parents. Everything. And she would be damned if she let it happen again. Holding out her hand furiously, a large flame quickly appeared. Doing the same with the other, she there the flames upwards and they crashed together, exploding like fire works above her. Adrenaline was coursing through her veins now, and she began making her own way to the area where her and Erik practiced. She had been there with him enough times to remember the way on her own. Snapping her fingers was all she had to do to light the many candles in the room now, and it felt amazing. All of this power at her fingertips, it was like a light had been turned on for her. A switch flips open. She could see so clearly. Anastasia continued throwing around several large flames, and practiced on her own this time. At least, she though she was alone. After a few hours she was completely exhausted that she nearly fell to the floor. But a slow clapping coming from the shadows alerted her and she spun around quickly. "That was wonderful Ana." he said, more surprised than she expected. But a strange stirring within her stopped her from responding. A burning sensation began spreading all over her skin. Crumpling to the ground she groaned and cried, praying to god, or whoever would listen to make it stop. Erik rushed to her side, looking her in the eyes "Ana? Whats wrong?!" what surprised her the most, was his genuine concern. But deep down she knew something was going to happen, something dangerous, so between her cries she yelled one thing "Run..." 

        A scream tore through her as a cloud of smoke erupted around her. She felt her self, floating in the air, and then....

Nothing.