The Girl on Fire-Part 9

A small wave of shock coursed through her, but Ana understood why he did it, and she didn't blame him. Erik looked at her, anxious and terrified for a reaction. "I dont blame you. I understand why you did it." 

      A thankful sigh of relief escaped his lips, and they sat in silence for a few moments. eventually Erik stood and re-filled their glasses. When he sat down, Anastasia remained seated, staring at a piece of her strangely new red hair. He handed her a glass, now full with red wine once more. "What should i tell the others about my hair? I'm sure they'll notice" he chuckled, but responded seriously as he always did. "I suppose that you dyed it. I'm not sure there is any other option."

    She laughed softly "Well I suppose saying that I'm some sort of monster with wings  who can shoot fire from its hands might scare everyone." She expected Erik to laugh as well, but instead his brow furrowed. 

"You aren't a monster Ana. Not even close."

    Tears glossed over her eyes, but she didn't her best to conceal it by turning her head in the other direction as they spilled over. But Erik surprised her once again as her turned her face to his with his hand, wiping the tears away with his thumbs as he held her face gently. Their eyes locked, and Anastasia found herself with yet another question.

              "Why aren't you afraid of me?" her voice coming out as a shaky whisper and Erik smiled at her softly "There is nothing for me to fear Ana." her tears had dried, yet Erik's hands remained, and she never wanted them to leave. She hadn't realized until now how close they were. How close their faces were... 

    The jingling of a small bell passing behind the chaise lounge they sat on drew away Anastasia attention. Erik's hands fell from her face, and Ana noticed the lack of concern on his face to be quite confusing. She bent over to look behind the couch and saw a Siamese cat playing with a tattered ball of yarn, it seems the be the ringing was from the small bell on it's thin black collar. 

       Anastasia grinned as the feline went under the couch and hopped onto her lap. Erik seem slightly shocked and when she sent him a questioning glance he responded "She's usually very territorial." Feeling honored that the cat had taken a liking to her, she inquired Erik about her name. "Ayesha." he responded curtly.

~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~

     An hour or so later, the two began conversing about Ana's past, or what she remembered about it. Erik asked if she still wanted to look for her parents to which she responded "I try to convince myself that they're six feet under somewhere. If i spend the rest of my life looking for them then i wouldn't be living." He nodded and glanced over to the grandfather clock in the corner of the room as it chimed loudly, marking the hour as one in the morning. He turned back to Anastasia, only to see her dead asleep against the arm of the sofa. Ayesha had hopped off her lap to continue playing with her yarn ball it seemed. 

        After a moment of thought, Erik didn't want to wake her so he scooped her up into his arms and brought her to into the bedroom she was in when she woke up after the accident. He pulled the covers over her and left, leaving her to her dreams.