Chapter 9

Gabby stirred out of her deep slumber, her hand instinctively reaching over to her right only to grasp nothing and fall back down onto the mattress. Although it's been weeks since Matt's accident, she has yet to adapt to her new routine. She tried her best to not let it show how much it was really affecting her, but with a best friend like Shay, it was practically impossible to hide anything from her. Gabby missed Matt, her Matt. Even though he survived the accident and he's still with her, she still lost him. She missed being able to fall asleep in his arms and waking up to him whispering sweet nothings into her ear and pressing soft kisses everywhere. She missed being able to hug him after a close call at work. She missed his playful banter while she attempted to cook them dinner. She missed being intimate with Matt, his hands and lips that know every inch of her skin and every spot that makes her a trembling mess in his arms, the words he whispers in her ear that somehow always made her shed a tear. She missed that reassuring feeling she had every time they made love, knowing she still had him and was here with her, breathing and alive.

Before she even knew it, a sob was being ripped out of her. A river of tears streamed down her face and pooled on her fingers as she pressed her hand to her mouth to muffle her cries, her other hand gripping the sheets where Matt should be laying. She tried to calm herself, but she couldn't, so instead, she let herself keep crying. She mourned everything she's lost since the accident. She cried for all the little things she and Matt were missing during her pregnancy. She cried at the fact that for Matt this was her first baby, and he was experiencing it with her, but, months ago they had lost their baby boy. Once Gabby felt she had calmed down a bit, she made her way to the bathroom so she could get ready for her day. As she took her ring off to get in the shower, she was glad Shay had convinced her to keep it on, it felt like a promise, a promise that Matt would get his memories back and they would get to have the wedding they both dreamed of.

Once she was done getting ready, she stepped out of her room and noticed Matt was in the kitchen moving around and grumbling about something. His back was to her, so he didn't notice Gabby was awake and making her way towards him. Eventually he turned around and a smile grew on his face. "You're finally awake! Looks like princess really wore you out last shift huh?"

Gabby grinned and grabbed the mug he handed to her. "She really did. Once we ate dinner and laid down, I was out like a light."

Matt stared at her for a few seconds and Gabby almost squirmed at his intense gaze. "You've been crying." He pointed out. "You alright?"

Although she was wearing makeup, Gabby knew Matt would still be able to notice her swollen, red rimmed eyes. "Yeah, it's just my pregnancy hormones making me cry at all of the little things." She lied and hoped Matt wouldn't notice. "You're all dressed up this morning, going somewhere?"

An omelet and some fruit were placed on a plate and handed over to her and they both took a seat at the dining table. "Yeah, Kelly was telling me about some renovations he wanted to do over at his and Shay's apartment and I said I would go over this morning." He paused and took in Gabby's clothes. "I hope you weren't planning on inviting me anywhere and I just ruined your plans."

Gabby chuckled and shook her head. "Don't worry, Shay wanted to go out and have a girl's day today. She'll probably be picking me up around the time you leave. What are you doing at their apartment?"

Matt swallowed the piece he had in his mouth. "He's changing the cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms and he has some shelving units he wants me to help build. He'll probably remember some other project when I'm there and end up working on those too. I might be late tonight, but I'll let you know."

They finished up their breakfast and went about their day. Matt left soon after with his tools to Kelly and Shay's apartment. He offered to stay and help clean up the kitchen, but Gabby declined and said she would be fine. After she was done cleaning up, she sat down in the living room, watching a cooking show that was on. Her gaze drifted to the ultrasound framed on the shelf next to the tv, she stood up and went over to grab it. A hand came up and caressed the frame gently.