30: TO LOVE

I hear a loud click which breaks me out of my thoughts

I hear a loud click which breaks me out of my thoughts. My door swings open wide open. Kai walks in casually with a sigh. He's rubbing under his eyes and yawning. He's wearing dark clothes. A dark-gray t-shirt and black shorts.

My eyes turn round and I sniffle back tears. My knees slide down and I sit up properly. I wipe under my eyes quickly and glare at him. I clear my throat. "What the hell are you doing here?" I ask, flustered. I push my hair back. I'm in sweatpants and a gray tank top.

He crosses his arms and sighs. "I know we're not talking to each other but this is the fourth time, you've woken up, screaming and disturbed my beauty sleep," Kai says bluntly and a bit coldly. He hasn't looked at me, he's still yawning. "Fourth, Alessia."

I stare at him, stunned. I didn't know that I had been screaming. It must have been loud because his room is across the hall. I look away from him, facing the bookshelf. "I'm sorry," I say quietly.

He doesn't say anything. I can feel him studying me but I don't meet his gaze. He takes a step closer to the bed. "You okay?" Kai questions me in a low, sincere voice.

I clear my throat again. "I'm fine," I say in a firm voice, refusing to meet his eyes. I'm tensing up slowly. I wipe under my eyes harshly and sigh slowly to even out my breathing. "You can go now. I promise not to wake you up."

He climbs onto my bed and crawls over to me. He drapes the blanket over both of us, unconsciously brushing his arm against mine. "God, you're cold," Kai informs me and drags the blanket up to my shoulders.

I turn to him in surprise. I blink rapidly. "What are you doing?" I question him, puzzled. "What the hell are you doing in my bed, Parker?"

He turns to face me. He tilts his head, an amused smile threatening to break across his lips. "It's not like you haven't been in bed with me already. Not like that. Obviously. But you would have enjoyed it, really. Trust me. I've got a pretty good track record for pleasing - "

"Please tell me this isn't why you're still here," I cut him off.

He sighs. "You've been crying and screaming almost every night so I'm staying with you tonight as long as you need me to," Kai says gently as all humor leaves his voice. "I'm here for that."

I frown at him, tears fighting to fall out of my already swollen eyes. "You don't have to. I'm fine," I tell him firmly. "Really. Go get your beauty sleep."

He narrows his eyes at me. "Tell that to someone who can't tell you're lying, princess," Kai tells me.

"I stayed with you because you asked me to," I point out, recalling how he had asked me to stay when he had gotten a nightmare. I wipe under my eyes harshly as tears slide down my cheeks against my will. "You don't have to. I didn't ask you for this."

He shoves me playfully. "What can I say? Payback's a bitch," Kai says and smirks. I glare at him through my fresh tears. He sighs. "How about this? I stay and tomorrow we'll pretend like this never happened."