38: SHE KNOWS

Trigger Warnings: Violence, abuse

(Kai's POV)

I raise my fist, banging on the door of the boarding house. I'm breathing hard. My heart is pounding so fast that I can hear it in my ears. Out of the two of us, I didn't expect her to get caught. I never expected this situation. I believed we would be fine, that -

I was dreaming of something unrealistic. I was dreaming of a world where we would both be happy, unbothered by any sort of danger, pain, or suffering. I was dreaming, I think, disgusted with myself. Damn it, Kai. Look where that has gotten you. Where it's gotten her.

I was dreaming to hide from the fact that I can't stop thinking about her safety ever since the fire in Portland when we were in a mood so bliss we forgot about Joshua. It's been nine days since we separated and I can't get my mind off her.

She's all I can think about with the merge as an exception. How far apart we are. How we're not in the same place. How I can't see her rare wide smiles anymore. How she's surrounded by all of her friends that love her and I'm back to square one: all alone.

I never realized how much of an effect Alessia Marie Granger had on me till the following days I started spending without her. I had gotten so used to her company, that I had forgotten that this is how it used to be. It has been like this all the time; me alone against the whole world.

It still is but with her around things seem a little easier. With her around, things seem brighter than they should. She adds light to my lonesome, quiet life and for some reason, the light tends to consume me.

I remember her voice. How terrified and panicked she was while she told me everything she could. I remember my heart clenching in my chest, my feet that refused to move in shock after she cut the call. All I knew was that I had to listen to her; I had to listen to my Lessie because she knows what to do. I have to remain calm and find a way to work with her friends for her sake.

The door opens, snapping me back to reality. It's her best friend. Stefan Salvatore. I almost scowl at the sight of him. He regards me with his eyebrows pulled together and a clear resentment in his eyes. "You're not welcome here, Kai," Stefan tells me sharply.

I muster my best forced smile. "I don't care, Steven, and neither did I ask for you to voice your opinion in front of me. Where the hell is the Bennett witch?" I demand in a cold voice. "I need to talk to her. It's important."

A blonde woman is walking towards the door, directly behind Stefan. She has her hair in curls and her eyes are staring down at her phone. "Hey, Stefan, I tried calling her but...." she trails off as she glances up and her eyes land on me. She frowns at me. "Umm...who are you?"

"I'm - "

She gasps, making me stop as I stare at her with a raised eyebrow. She points at me. "'Nice light blue eyes, and a great face to look at'," she says as if she's quoting someone. Her lips pull up into a smile. "You must be Kai Parker, the sociopath."