32: AN ECLIPSE OF THE HEART

Kol's words ring in my head as I lift up the knife in my hand and drive it into the fabric sofa

You're brave, so continue being so. Be brave. Never give up. Always keep fighting because, in the end, you need to survive. Promise me that you will.

I made this promise the day I broke up with Kol before his death. Even if we were separating, he wanted to make sure I would be okay. That nothing would bind me down when it came to my survival. I promised him that I would survive. That I wouldn't stop fighting even if it meant that I went to great lengths. I promised I would be brave even if I was utterly terrified.

I let out a grunt of annoyance. I pull the knife straight ahead, digging it farther into the sofa. It tears the sofa open completely. I toss the knife onto the ground and use my hands to tear it apart farther in frustration.

It's been three days since I sent Bonnie back with the note. Hopefully, she completed the task. Hopefully. Because if she did, Kai and I have a slight chance at making our escape if we find a source of magic. I know he won't let me use mine just like that.

I sigh and drop the knife. I get up and stride towards the kitchen. I climb the countertop and open the shelves. When I see glassware, I pull each one out individually and toss it into the floor with all the strength I have. They shatter against the marble floor with a satisfying loud sound.

I haven't been doing so great. Clearly. The nightmares come and go occasionally. I wake up, scared for my life until I remember it's all a dream. Around that time, I usually get out of my room, trying to get some air to find Kai yawning from the other side of the hallway. He rubs his eyes tiredly and strides towards me, wrapping his arms around me without a word, providing me with the comfort that I need.

I've been up for hours. I haven't been able to get any sleep since Bonnie left because I don't have a plan. I gave her and all of my friends back at home hope that I'll make it. I need a plan now but I can't think of anything.

I don't know how I'm going to keep on doing this. I need a plan desperately. Kai has been no help whatsoever to figure out what we can do. He's been nagging me about what I wrote in the letter - which I can't tell him about just yet - but hasn't come up with a plan to actually get us out.

Instead, he wants to sit by me and watch me do the simplest things ever. Such as the time when I was in Salvatore's library, trying to pick out a grimoire to go through again and drown out my pessimistic thoughts. He sat on the couch, watching me with an open book he paid no attention to. I didn't snap at him for it; I was too tired to.

No, let's leave the planning part to Alessia. She can figure it out.

I throw two tall glasses towards the wall farthest away from me with a groan of anger. They smash into pieces, falling down.

There is this anger that's been eating me away for days. Kai hangs around me and tries to distinguish it but most of the time, he loses it too. The good thing is that he never leaves me for too long. I think he's afraid I'll do something crazy or leave him for good but I won't.