13: BEING AROUND YOU

My head is buried into a grimoire

My head is buried into a grimoire. There are so many spells I haven't tried that it makes me want to try them right away. But of course, I can't so I'm making a mental list of the grimoires I want to keep.

Kai's in the kitchen for some reason. I didn't ask. I was too busy reading.

It's around eight in the evening. Kai was trying to fix the Ascendant before he took off. "Kai!" I yell in anger.

"What?" he yells back from the kitchen.

"Can you come back and put the Ascendant back together?" I say with anger. "You've been gone for - "

"Ten minutes and you already miss me," Kai says. He walks into the living room with two small bowls. A smirk is on his face.

I roll my eyes. "I just want us to be productive," I say and hold up the grimoire in my hand. "I am 75% done reading this and you're not - "

"I brought ice cream," Kai says with a smile.

I instantly smile at him and sit up properly. I extend my hands. "Gimme it!"

He chuckles. The bowl's almost in my hands when he takes it away. He smirks and I glare at him. "What's the magic word?" Kai teases.

"Give me the ice cream," I say with a glare and wiggle my fingers.

He raises his eyebrows. "Alessia," Kai says with a serious tone.

"Malachi."

He frowns and shakes his head. "It's Kai. Don't call me that." He sounds annoyed.

"Why?" I question and smirk. "It's your name and I don't think - "

"My mother used to call me that," Kai cut me off. He hands me the bowl. His eyes seem distant. "Before, you know, she died."

I take it and shift on the couch. He sits right in front of me on the armchair. "What happened to her?" I ask him.

"Well, she was busy conceiving more kids for the merge," Kai says casually and eats his ice cream. "Which I didn't know about but anyways - she died after she had Lukas and Olivia."

He had talked about merging a lot. I knew what it was. Especially about why the Gemini Coven did it. I had done my research on that already. They merge twins and the stronger one comes out alive with the other twin's magic. That twin becomes the leader.

I guess being Coven leader is really important to Kai. It would have been this important to me if I hadn't been rushed into it against my will. I wanted to lead my Coven long before my parents died but I didn't realize how complicated it would get or how I would be all alone in this.

I stare at him with a grim expression. "That's so sad. I'm - "

"Oh no don't be sorry. She only created more problems for me," Kai says and rolls his eyes. "Giving birth to another set of twins for this dumb merge that they wouldn't let me do. It was pathetic."