Chapter One

Finally able to breathe.

Saddled high upon a black stallion, Tarazi Al-Shaheed surveyed all before him. Miles of luscious green lands, nothing like his desert home that he missed. Or more to do with that he hated being fawned over, everyone seeking his attention or his approval.

Tonight, was the welcoming dinner, nothing as grand as theirs, as in scale. He missed mingling with his kind, listening to their needs from the dais with his brother and father. Most were easy-to-solve issues, others not.

It would test the wisdom of Solomon.

The history of feuding families goes back decades, centuries even.

He preferred that to what he had to face tonight.

Families pushed their available daughters in front of him, hoping he would choose a bride among them. Not that he would from here. Word had gotten out. His family wanted him married. At thirty-three, he had too much freedom for far too long. Not in his eyes.

The problem was he liked his freedom. Also, loved his homeland, and his part in looking after it, and yet hadn't found a woman that filled his soul as did his country. The suitably available princesses were all about duty, not spirit.

He wanted genuine passion in his...

Shrieking caught his attention. A joyful shriek.

Turning the horse towards the sound, Tarazi paced the gait, slowing down as he rode into thicker terrain, soon to be lost in trees, heading towards a lake that boarded between properties.

Ones he hoped to connect with for their future if suitable.

Not oil, something different. There was only so much oil available and it won't last forever. A broader future, bringing them out of old traditions that choked them. However, there was a thin line between being taken over by the modern world and losing who they were.

Coming to the edge of the lake, Tarazi slid off the horse and tethered it to a branch. His horse, Bisu, an Arabian of the purest breed that he trained from a foal had become the magnificent creature that he was. He missed its true free spirit. Also never needed to be tethered.

Out here he couldn't take the risk. Walking back would be a challenge, even if it was one he would enjoy. Not so sure about his bodyguards. He had dismissed them against their objections. Only to be informed if he wasn't back within two hours, they would search him out.

One look from his most trusted, and knew he wasn't joking.

No one knew where he was staying or why he was there.

Only the female variety, trying to catch themselves a rich sheikh husband.

They didn't know what that meant. No matter what, he wouldn't have any poor innocent blinded woman living in a fantasy world of Arabian Nights into the reality of his lifestyle. They didn't have a voice, something he wanted to change. They were the backbone of the family. They were strong. They needed to be in all areas, even if they make no official decisions.

Men didn't think as women did.

A known fact.

Edging closer as he heard splashing water, peering between the tree branches, focusing on a figure of a siren teasing his sight, water caressing, not quite hiding the woman's physique, also not revealing all the curves.

Water glistened under the sunlight, almost blinding the eye, focusing on the one playing in the water. Not swimming, more duck diving, taking in the sights before him.

The glimpses of bare fair skin, bopping in and out of the water, teasing him. A stirring of interest flared through him, something he hadn't felt in a long time. Having a powerful urge to join her, wasn't something he dabbled in, not usually, yet she was something amazing.