Chapter Six

No matter what, he took her breath away. Ashley loved the way he looked, dressed all in black. Black shirt, black suit, with no tie, the top two buttons, undone, exposing his neck and throat. Slowly his eyes swept over her, and lips curled up in that sexy way of his, eyes darkening with approval.

"What a sight you are before my eyes, Miss Ashley."

Heat rose from her neck, burning her cheeks. The way he said her name over his tongue, a caressing feather brushing over her with the lightest touch. The hair on her body stood up, electrified. 

How did he manage that without even touching her? Just by his voice, and the intensity of his eyes. 

Her fingers curled around the clutch bag in front of her.

"You don't think," she lowered her gaze over the dress, "that I'm overdressed?" Second-guessing herself. Something she never did.

"I think you are perfect as you are, Miss Ashley. The car is waiting for us downstairs."

"Of course," she stepped out, closing the door behind her, taking his offered arm, her fingers curling around the jacket-sleeved arm, while his dark golden eyes smiled down upon her.

"You have nothing to be worried about, Ashley. You could never put any man to shame, ever. The only thing that's missing is the diamonds. I would drape you in gems." Her free hand rested on her bare neckline. She had forgotten about that. "I noticed you don't wear jewellery, do you?" That was true.

"I'm not really into all that dazzling bling," she said honestly. Her mother and sister had the most beautiful pieces, usually given to them by the men that loved them. Special pieces. She was yet to find that, not sure that she would.

As Tarazi had already said, she had to let go and find herself. Maybe she will, through him as friends. Nothing more echoed in her mind. She knew that nearly losing him today had thrown her into the deep end. Lost. Her fingers curled around his arm.

For now, she was keeping him close, both entering the elevator when she normally took the stairs. As a friend that seemed hard to deal with. Not that he ever acted any other way towards her. His fault for being so nice to her. Almost protective, even against her own family, when there was no need.

She loved her family, and he had meant well.

They exited the elevator together. "You realise, it won't be like the dinner at the country estate? It will just be my family."

"I do hope so. That was an event, this is just dinner, less formal."

"Believe me, Tarazi no surprises, apart from us. You've got to understand who we are."

"A very close-knit family."

She smiled up at him. "You have such insight."

"I see the truth, Ashley. They all love you deeply as you do them, even if you don't agree with them. You still protect them."

"Like my mother, she means well."

"She does, also doesn't understand your needs. You're not like your sisters."

"No, I'm not. We are so different, but we love each other, support each other, and will do anything for each other."

"Yes, I get that, also understand it. I also have a family. A large one, however, the dynamics are the same."

"What do you want from us, Tarazi, really want?"

"Hopefully to build a better future. Not tonight Ashley let's enjoy the evening. Then we will leave."

She squeezed his arm. "I can't believe you are taking me with you."

Opening the entrance door, his gaze meshed with hers. "Who else would I take?" Who indeed? Cheeks flushed, hit by the cool air of the night. She stepped outside, followed by him, entering the street where a limousine was waiting. Yasser exited the car, opening the back door.