Emotional Pain Meets Conniverse

Steven had thrown out the last bottle when he first got the call.

He scowled, staring at his phone for a moment before sliding the green phone across the screen.

"What?" He snipped.

"Uh, hi Steven?" Amethyst said.

"Oh... I'm sorry, Amethyst." He sighed and ran his fingers through his curls. "I'm under a lot of stress."

"Yeah, well, I have Garnet, Pearl, and Connie on the other line. She's with some guy... it's pretty bad Steven."

He stood up and threw on his jacket. "I'm on my way."

"It's not a good idea, Steven, for you to come. She's a total mess." She laughed nervously and cleared her throat. "It would be better for you to just call in."

"But-"

"I'm connecting you to the call, Steven. Maybe you can help."

He gritted his teeth and stiffly sat down, drumming his fingers on the wood of his arm chair.

The line rang, and rang and just when he was about to pack up and go to her, it clicked.

A weak but angry voice and various soothing voices clamored over each other.

"I HATE HIM. HE RUINED MY LIFE!!"

"Connie, you know that's not true." Garnet scolded.

"C'mon, Connie you have to breathe."

"No! Don't touch me Jeff!" There was scuffling on their side of the phone and a groan of pain.

"Connie?" Steven murmured.

"Steven?" She sobbed. "You RUINED ME!! HOW COULD YOU?!?"

"What? What did I do?" He said defensively.

"You broke my heart I hate you!!"

"Shes been hysterical since about 11, Steven. Shes burning up." Pearl sighed.

"Oh! So Pearl gets to go and I dont?" Steven growled. "How is that fair?"

"I HATE YOU STEVEN, DO YOU HEAR ME? YOU ARE THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO ME!!"

"Connie. Calm down." Jeff murmured in the background. "Hes trying to help. He cares about you. We both do."

"Fuck both of you." She spat.

"Connie, get ahold of yourself." Garnet said. "You are not in a good mindset."

There was a worrying silence on Connie's end.

"Connie. C'mon you've gotta talk to us. Tell us what's wrong." Amethyst pleaded.

Connie started crying loudly, sniffling and sobbing heartbroken, heartthrobing cries of emotional pain.

"Connie, you need to calm down. You're going to wear yourself out." Steven said sadly. His heart was aching for her, even as her angry words spun around in his mind.

She continued sobbing, refusing to be touched by Jeff or Pearl for a good 10 minutes.

"No. No leave me alone."

"Connie they can't leave you alone until they figure out the cause of your hysteria. You're doing badly, and if you dont let them help you, I see a likely potential future where you die. Do you want that, Connie?" Steven could tell Garnet was growing desperate with worry and he stayed silent, wondering if it would sink in for Connie.

"Okay," Jeff explained after a minute. "Shes very weak, but if we ask her if she wants to hang up, she just cries for Steven. So, we dont know what to do but stay on the line."

He could hear her in the background calling for him forlornly. "I'm here! Damnit Jeff give the phone to her. Connie I'm here."

"Steven." She sobbed, "I wo-would have...have married-d-- you. Ha-ha-had your CHILDREN. But you BROKE MY HEART." Her words were hard to understand but he got the gist of it.

"Connie you cant--"

"ITS YOUR FAULT!!!"

"Holy shit her temperature is spiking. We need to cut off her clothes now. Open a window, turn on the fan and keep that washcloth on her face. Its wet and will keep her awake."

"What's her temp?"

"High. That's all you need to know, dude. It's high."

"Jeff, I swear by everything good and holy if you dont quit playing games--"

"Steven!" Amethyst interrupted. "Not the time!!"

"Uuuugh." Connie groaned into the phone and heaved a shaky breath. "I need to get up. Get away."

"JEFF!! PEARL!!!" The gems shouted.

"Did they just leave her?!" Amethyst screeched.

"I dont know. I cant see!!" Garnet groaned.

"What the hell is going on?" His chest was heaving and he was worried his phone would crumble if he held on any tighter.

"Hot." Connie huffed.

"I know, honey. I know. Its gonna be okay." Steven replied soothingly.

"Steven. Am I gonna die?"

"N-no, Connie dont-dont say that." His voice cracked at the thought of her dying but he gritted his teeth. "You arent gonna die. Not on my watch."

"Its so hot."

"Somebody catch her now before she--"

Clank!

Shatter!

"Son of a bitch, Connie I thought you couldnt move! Dammit!!" Jeff yelled.

"You're going to scare her!"

"She is unconscious, dipshit!"

"Dont talk to Pearl like that, Jeff. Beach city wont miss one human, I'll tell you that."

"Amethyst-"

"Shes awake. Lay her on the bed." Pearl ordered.

"Ohhh~."

"Hey, Connie. How ya doin?"

"Steven, I'm gonna die. I need you to come and see me before I die."

"You arent gonna die." Steven said firmly. "You're gonna be okay."

"I'm gonna die, but I'm ready. It's okay."

"Uh, tell that to Steven. He will be utterly lost without you, Connie." Amethyst sounded tired and worried almost as much as Steven.

"Dont make a selfish decision." Garnet pleaded.

"Steven, dont leave me."

"I'm not leaving, I'm here."

"I'm leaving." Connie's voice was faint and peaceful.

"CONNIE NO!!! STAY AWAKE."

"Shes just sleeping. Calm down. Theres nothing we can do for her now. Get some rest." Garnet clicked off without another word.

"Well, Garnet knows best." Amy yawned and clicked off too, leaving Steven to listen to Connie sleeping.

"Take care, Jam Bud."

Click.

So this totally didnt happen to me but worse, like, say, a month ago. Thatd be weird. Lol. Nope. Not based on a true story at all. 🤥🤥🤥 anyways, kinda sad but my favorite (and most intense) chapter so far is coming up soon. Stay tuned Juanifans.

idkfanficreader
FilippoMasiero2