XIII. Entering the Forbidden Chamber

Lady Emily Hassildor was having a blast time with the Duchess of Belikov, Lady Rebecca Dragomir. They went sightseeing as well as getting some supplies for their clothing and tried some teas and bought for their husbands. Right now, Emily was sitting in the backyard of Belikov Estate after a tiring day of shopping around and sightseeing Royal Molftus with Becca since her marriage to Niklaus. Emily could not be happier just catching up and chatting with her best friend. Becca sighed as she was leaning against the chair in the backyard as Emily was sipping on the tea that has been prepared by the maid for them both.

"It is so much tiring since I haven't been going around for a while. Nick is too busy to go out with me and so I spend my time in the library," Becca said as Emily was nodding at her. "But now that you're back in Royal Molftus, I think I can safely say that we will be going out quite often, spending our husbands' wealth," Becca said as Emily was looking at her neck. She was wearing a black choker that covered her neck. She never noticed that Becca was rocking that style before.

"Is that a new accessory?" Emily asked as Becca was touching it. She noticed that Becca's face paled a bit before Emily smiled at her. "It looks good on you," she said as Becca sighed before she smiled at Emily. Why would her best friend be nervous when she asked about that? Emily thought it was an uncommon reaction out of Becca but she had never been a nervous person before.

Something about this was making Emily wonder what changed Becca.

"Oh, it was a new accessory that I thought would look good with my skin. Do you approve of it?" Becca asked Emily as she nodded at her best friend.

"Yes, the black choker was nice and it made your pale skin stands out. As well as your black hair, my dear," Emily said as Becca's green eyes were twinkling under the dim gaslight. Then, Emily was surprised when the butler was coming to hand her a telegram from her home.

"Someone sent this to you, my lady," he said before Emily thanked him and she was removing the seal to read it. It was from her butler back at home.

Something was wrong with the marquis. I wish you would come home immediately at your convenience, mistress.

~B

Emily was looking at Becca after she read the dismissive before she was standing up from the chair as her skirts rustled. Becca was looking at her before the duchess stood as well.

"What's wrong, my dear?" Becca asked Emily as she was smiling weakly at her best friend.

"I have to go home now. Ian is in trouble," Emily said as she was looking for her purse and all the stuff that she carried with her earlier.

"Oh dear, I hope it was not bad," Becca said as Emily was putting on her coat as the butler was giving it to her. Emily turned to look at Becca before they were walking to the front of Belikov Estate.

"I'm sure it's nothing, usually Ian wanted me home because he was lonely," Emily said before Becca was arching her eyebrow as she smirked at Emily.

"Oh, I bet these lords do," Becca said, smirking as Emily was smoothing her skirts before the carriage that bore the sigil of Hassildor was arriving in front of the castle.

"I would love to chat later, dear. I see you soon," Emily said as Becca was nodding at her.

"I see you around, my dear. Take care," Becca said before Emily hugged the duchess and got inside the carriage as the footman was closing the door. Emily was looking at Becca before she was waving at her best friend as the coachman was whipping the horse and it neighed. Then, the carriage moved to its final destination, Marquis of Kain's townhouse in Royal Molftus.