3 - My Best Friend

~ Aziraphale's Perspective ~

"Oh, come up, pick up, Crowley." Aziraphale said to the phone. He'd reached Crowley's voicemail, but the angel was well aware the demon was sitting at the table, watching the phone ring.

"This is Anthony Crowley, you know what to do, do it with style."

Yes, that was his actual voicemail. No, Anthony was not his actual name. It was just Crowley. For human documenting purposes, Crowley liked to go by 'Anthony J Crowley'.

What does the J stand for? Nobody knew. Not even the demon himself.

Maybe it was Jimmothy. Or Janthony. Knowing Crowley, he'd come up with it while he was drunk and hadn't been able to change it.

"I know you're standing there." Aziraphale said to the phone.

"Yeah? Whatcha need?" Came Crowley's answering reply.

"St James' Park? Can you meet me there at our spot at nine?"

"At night?"

"Yes. Could you?"

"Well it's not like I've got any better plans."

Aziraphale, unlike Crowley, could have better plans. Like reading. And eating food. And reading. Lots and lots of reading.

"Splendid." Aziraphale said, putting the phone down and clapping his hands together. He'd been meeting Crowley for centuries. Why should things change now? If anything, they'd stopped Armageddon. It should be better now.

Though, it would make Heaven pretty angry...

Later on that day, once nine o clock arrived, it had begun to rain. Aziraphale had brought his umbrella, and had been waiting for Crowley for nearly fifteen minutes now, alone on their favourite bench in the park. The ducks floated around, a few trying to try their wet feathers with a shake, only for more rain to wet them all over again. Aziraphale turned his attention to the black car that had pulled up and parked on the street. A tall, lean figure stepped out, walking towards Aziraphale in a way only one demon - one anything - ever did. His spiky, dark red hair was dripping wet, and he'd brought no umbrella. His black leather jacket was zipped up for once, and he was shivering slightly in the cold. He wore his dark sunglasses, as usual, and the same black jeans he'd worn so many times.

"Crowley, you're late!" Aziraphale exclaimed, pointing to his watch, "And, oh dear, you're all wet!"

Crowley sat on Aziraphale's left, shrugging off the water.

"It's fine. Not like I can get sick or anything."

"No, but I can't imagine that's very comfortable, being cold and dripping wet."

"There's no need to fuss, Angel, but..." Crowley grinned, "I wouldn't turn down a hug,"

Aziraphale raised an eyebrow, shaking off the rain.

"Absolutely not. I am an angel. You are a demon -"

"We're hereditary enemies, yeah, yeah, I got that bit." Crowley muttered, scowling.

For a moment, Aziraphale felt bad, being an angel and all. Perhaps he had hurt the demon's feelings.

Now, don't be silly. He thought, Demons don't have feelings.

He disregarded the thought as Crowley grinned again.

Aziraphale smiled back, and, even if for a moment, wondered what his demon acquaintance would have been like had he not Fallen.