21 - Because Forever Ended Yesterday

~ Crowley's Perspective ~

Crowley was crying, all alone, in the dark pouring rain. His wings hurt terribly.

"Excuse me, mister," a sweet voice said.

Crowley turned to see an awfully familiar girl. Her blonde hair was shoulder length, and her green eyes shone with amusement that shouldn't have been present during the end of the world. She had no shoes, but she wore a white dress that still held the ashes of Hellfire. Crowley narrowed his eyes.

"I saved you before," he realised, his voice hoarse.

The girl nodded.

"Where is your mother?" he asked, wincing in pain as he struggled to breathe.

"In Heaven," she answered.

"Oh. My condolences."

"That's fine, mister. Are you hurt?"

"Yes," Crowley grunted, "I'm sorry, I can't help you. You need to leave here before..."

"I'll make your wings better."

Crowley smiled faintly.

"It's not like that."

"Why wouldn't it be? If it should be, then it will be."

"You don't understand."

"Your wings are better now." she said.

"My wings can't be..." Crowley's eyes widened, "Holy fuck."

All traces of pain were gone, and Crowley black wings were exactly as they'd been before.

Well, almost.

The demon hadn't noticed, but a single white feather appeared on the tip of his right wing.

The sky lit up once more, and the girl glanced up.

"I have to go now," she chirped, "You'll find your friend. The world only ends once, you know."

And when Crowley looked back, she was gone. Unfortunately, the demon was much too preoccupied with his wings that he'd failed to notice the girl had been completely dry.

~ Aziraphale's Perspective ~

The flaming sword slipped from Aziraphale's hand, making no sound as it hit Heaven's newly blood-stained grounds. He glanced at the red blade, all flames extinguished. He felt sick knowing the blood on the sword was Crowley's.

Even more sick knowing who'd caused it.

He hadn't meant to push him - he hadn't meant it. Any of it. He flew down, down, down, the rain weighing him down and soaking his wings. Crowley's voice echoed in his head, desperately calling his name. Now any sounds were drowned out by rain and thunder, the storm rendering it impossible to see. Lightning illuminated the skies for a heartbeat, making the war visible. Angels and demons fought, and neither God nor Satan was anywhere in sight. Had God abandoned Her planet? Her creations? Her children?

Another flash lit up the sky, and Aziraphale saw the silhouette of the ground. He flew towards it, opening his wings when the dark shapes of the terrain came into view.

What have I done?! The angel thought, panic and dread replacing any traces of anger remaining. He searched frantically for any signs of Crowley, tears filling his blue eyes.

I killed my best friend.

"Crowley!" Aziraphale called, his voice cracking as he landed.

"Good day, Sir." A deep voice said. An elderly man stepped around Aziraphale, nodding to him as he passed.