1.1

War, ages 17 and 18 (1939)

War.

It had been broadcasted across the world.

Germany wouldn't remove their troops from Poland so Britain took charge and attacked Germany.

As Australia were in alliance with England they were going to war too, so now the eight best friends stood at the train station, watching their dads, Jack and Ben go off to war.

They were all in tears, Luke and Liz holding eachother. Adelaide and Mary, Imogen's twin little sisters, holding Victorias hand as she sobbed. Lauren and Harry held onto Anne as she watched Ashton hug Jack and Ben. Michael hugged his dad before he got onto the train, turning to hug Karen.

Imogen ran over and hugged Jack then Ben. They gripped onto her like their lives depended on it and smiled when she kissed their cheeks, blushing like when they had first met her.

All the men got onto the train and left Mali, Calum, Michael, Ashton, Luke and Imogen at the station.

Imogen was smart, she knew that soon enough Ashton, Michael and Calum would have to go. They were all eighteen and it was only a matter of time. She was hoping the war would be over before July so Luke wouldn't have to go. Heck, she hoped the war was just a stupid dream and she would wake up any minute.

They all walked back home and they all changed into old clothes, all going over to Imogen's and helping her build the bomb shelter the government told people to build. Imogen's back garden was the biggest so they were using her back garden so the five families could squeeze in.

No one talked as they worked, all not knowing what to say. Imogen looked tired, Luke kept worrying whenever Imogen would stumble. Calum kept watching Mali who would snap at him making Calum upset, resulting in everyone being in a bad mood.

Imogen kept thinking, thinking of how much time she had left with each boy. Would they go one by one or all together? Obviously Luke was to young to go and couldn't go. Why would he want to? He wouldn't leave her, right?

-

"Mia please just pack it in" Imogen grumbles.

"I miss daddy" Mary whines.

"Don't we all" Imogen mutters "Look just-" before she could finish her sentence a loud alarm rung through the small village. Imogen gasped and helped the twins get their coats on and grab blankets, pillows and the food hamper. They all grabbed their box containing their gas mask and Victoria opened the front door, letting in the other four families. They all ran into the back garden and into the Bomb shelter, Ashton shutting the large metal door.

They spread out the blankets and pillows and Imogen wrapped a blanket around herself and Luke. She rested her head on his shoulder, thinking back on the past thirteen years. From the start of kindergarten to now. It had all gone so fast, too fast.

"Hey" Luke whispered "You okay?"

"Yeah, just thinking" Imogen sighs "It's all gone so fast"

"What?" Luke asks.

"Life, since the start of kindergarten. It seems like yesterday" Imogen sighs "This is all a nightmare and I'll wake up soon"

The shelter shook as a bomb exploded in the distance, making the kids cry and the mum's shush them. Imogen buried her face into Lukes chest and he wrapped an arm around her protectively.

"I'm here for you Im" Luke whispers "Always"

-

"Lucas Robert Hemmings you will not go!" Liz yells from inside the house. Ashton, Michael and Calum sat on the front step in front of Lukes house and listen to the argument. Luke had just told Liz he was going to war with the other three and Liz didn't take it well.

"Why are you leaving me" Imogen cries.

"We're sorry Im" Ashton sighs "We're so sorry"

"We love you and would never purposely hurt you" Calum says.

"But you are! I swear to god if I get a telegram saying one of you have died I'm gonna go to war myself and stand in the Germans firing line" Imogen yells.

"We'll be okay Im" Michael nods.

"And we'll take care of Lucifer for you" Ashton winks making Imogen blush.

"Thanks guys" She whispers hugging them as Luke storms out of the house.

"Luke?" The boys shout but he ignores them and keeps walking down the street.

"Let me talk to him" Imogen says, standing up and running after him "Luke!"

"What Imogen?" Luke sighs.

"What did your mum say?" Imogen asks.

"What did she say?! She forbidded me to go!" Luke yells, scaring Imogen. She steps forward and takes his hand in hers.

"Come on, mum and dad are at work and you need cheering up" Imogen smiles, leading him to her house.

They walk inside and take off their shoes, going into the kitchen and Imogen cutting two slices of battenburg cake and pouring them some coca cola.  She passes them to Luke and picks at her cake.

"Are you okay?" Luke asks.

"Yeah, just thinking" Imogen nods.

"What about?"

"Luke - don't go! You're too young, what if you die? Hm, what happens then? Am I supposed to act okay even though I'm not! I love you Luke and you risk that for war?!" Imogen asks.

"I love you too Im but-"

"No Luke! You don't understand. I love you! And I have since - well I don't know when but Luke I love you and you've been to blind to realise!" Imogen yells, going to walk away but Luke grabs her wrist. Before she could protest Luke smashes his lips to her.

"I love you too, so much" Luke whispers. Imogen bites her lips and takes a deep breath. Leading Luke upstairs and to her room. Luke gently pushes her onto the bed and kisses her, climbing on top of her.

-

After cleaning up and getting their underwear back on the two friends lie next to each other. Imogen has her head on Lukes chest as Luke runs his hands through her hair.

"I'm still going you know" Luke asks.

"I know" Imogen sighs "Atleast now I know you love me - and even if you don't make it and we don't get married I want you to know I always love you. I also want you to have this" Imogen reaches up to her neck and takes her locket off, placing it in Lukes hand "Mum and Dad gave it to me the day I was born, I was special. Dad has a low sperm count so when they had me they were beyond happy. The symbol on it means undieing love and that's what I have for you Luke, undieing love"