The Shirt

The rain poured down, but I'd given up caring now. Taron was going to see me in this mess either way, so it didn't matter that the drainpipe above me was more like a waterfall, or that my umbrella was sticking out of a bin several streets away. My clothes were drenched, and my hair was stuck to my face. I reached carefully out to the doorbell and pressed twice, to let him know it was me.

Almost instantly, the door was thrown open and Taron stood in the doorway, his mouth open in shock, "Come in!" he pleaded, pulling me into the warm, "What happened?!"

I shivered as my wet clothes clung to my warming body.

"You know what..." Taron led me to the bathroom and ushered me inside. "Tell me when you're dry. You can shower if you want?"

"Can I borrow some clothes please?" I asked, feeling my throat start to scratch already.

"Of course!" he replied. "Here," he unbuttoned the top of his crisp white shirt and pulled it over his head. "Have this for now... I'll get you a clean one, but you need to get out of those clothes as soon as possible, so go!"

I smiled gratefully and showered...

I have no idea how much time passed, but as I slipped my thankfully dry underwear back on, followed by Taron's shirt, his warm lingering scent filled me with happiness; all feelings of cold and misery filtered away.

I was barely out of the bathroom door before Taron was there, holding a clean shirt and his shorts for me. There was no need, as his shirt was more than long enough to cover me. He stopped suddenly and stared.

"I left my wet clothes in the sink, if that's okay?" I asked, wondering why he was staring.

"Y-yeah," he shook his head as though trying to focus. "Here..." he tried to hand me the clean shirt.

"I like this one," I tugged at the sleeves that enveloped my hands. "Thank you though."

"But I've been wearing that one all day... Surely you-"

"That's exactly why I like this one," I interrupted, biting my lip nervously. "It smells like you."

A cheeky grin flashed across his lips and I could tell he enjoyed the compliment. "It suits you," he answered, "you look beautiful."

I could feel heat rising to my cheeks, as even though I now felt a lot better, I still felt far from beautiful. "Thank you," I muttered. "Hug?"

"Definitely," he replied, pulling me to his chest.

"Thank you," I repeated moments later, pulling out of the embrace to kiss him on the cheek.

"Seriously," he spoke as though he'd been holding it in, "you look beautiful." He held me so he could see me, then scanned my eyes. "I mean you always do, but there's something about seeing you in my shirt..."

"What are you saying?" I giggled.

"I'm saying," he smirked, "you're gorgeous all the time, but I'm trying so hard not to kiss you right now..."

A moment passed as we looked into each other's eyes and tried to work out what was happening. I realised that he was serious, and I couldn't believe my luck. I replied confidently, "So stop trying..."

His grin peaked, as he slowly leaned in and captured my lips with his own. My fingers found their way into his hair and his hands moved along my lower back, pulling me towards him. I felt the hem of the shirt graze my skin as it tightened around me, and my whole body shivered at his touch. This kiss had been long awaited, and I knew I would keep this shirt forever, to remind me of my perfect moment with Taron.