Chapter 3: Tension Brewing

A few minutes earlier...

25th of April, 11:20

Aboard HMS Belfast, 55 miles off the coast of Scotland, the North Sea

     Only a few days into their patrol, HMS Queen Elizabeth and her CSG, consisting of two Type 45 destroyers, two Type 26 frigates that include HMS Belfast, an Astute-class submarine and a Tide-class tanker, ran into sea state 8. The seas surrounding the carrier strike group were unusually rough even for the frigates and destroyers like HMS Belfast.

      Most of the crew below the decks was trying to make themselves as relaxed as possible, after all, they didn't anticipate anything after everything that happened.

       Soon enough, an indisputable sound was heard throughout the entire ship as the piercing klaxon of the ship's general alarm shatters everyone's mood.

Broadcast Alarm: "Hands to action stations, hands to action stations. Assume CBRN damage control state 1. Condition Zulu."

     And suddenly, the mood below decks changed. Even though it was more of an ordered rush rather than panic, everyone knew something unfavourable was inevitable.

     Across the entire ship, the crew grabbed and emptied their bags and put on their white coveralls, white fire-retardant hoods and gloves. Every door and hatch was sealed just in case the ship was hit. Everyone's adrenaline was pumping, this was what they've been training and waiting for their entire career.

     Inside the gun bay directly below the ship's 6.1-inch Mk 8 gun, high-explosive (HE) shells were readied while safety catches were pulled from the two RAPIDFire CIWS on board.

(Author Note: The Mk 8 naval gun, even though it's a 4.5-inch gun irl, was supposed to be adapted to carry the 155 mm gun barrel and breech from the AS-90 self-propelled gun until it was cancelled in the 2010 Strategic Defence and Security Review. But well, since that's the UK and this is the FBU, it was never cancelled. And all the Phalanx CIWS on board were replaced by the RAPIDFire CIWS because of the much more complicated FBU - US relations in this world.)

     Within minutes, all the close-range weapons crew are in their body armour and positions, only to see something terrifying right before the ship's path.

AWW 1: "...What the fuck is that?"

(Author Note: "AWW" stands for Abovewater Warfare Weapons which is one of the four sub-specialisation for a Warfare Specialist (WS) in the Royal Navy.)

     Several hundred yards to the front of the carrier strike group was a huge sea serpent-like creature straight out of a fantasy novel. Everyone on the deck was astonished at the presence of such a strange creature.

     Meanwhile, on HMS Belfast's bridge, the captain, Commander Jean-Pascal Ménétries was patiently waiting for orders from the COMCSG aboard the HMS Queen Elizabeth on what to do next.

(Author Note: "COMCSG" stands for Commander Carrier Strike Group which is a fictional position based on the real "COMUKCSG" position within the Royal Navy.)

     However before the ships could do anything, the sea serpent started swimming aggressively towards them, all while opening its mouth as if it was trying to eat them.

HMS Queen Elizabeth: "Belfast, that thing is directly in front of you."

Jean: "Understood, sir. I got it, Logan."

Logan: "Captain has the conn."

     Jean quickly grabbed his binoculars and watched as the sea serpent came closer while HMS Belfast broke off from formation in an attempt to lure it towards her instead of the CSG.