Chapter 12: Reluctant Submission

A few hours later...

5th of May, 9:40

Ye Olde Tavern, Raveryn, Kingdom of Pais

     The miserable Tilman quietly fidgeted in his chair as he tried to sleep from the restlessness and exhaustion, after being forcibly fed several cups of tea. It had merely been three hours since he was captured by a group of unknown men and here he was, being left alone in a dark room with nothing but two chairs all while having to suffer from the effects of caffeine overdose.

     A proud half Paisian-Teutsch agent like him was never expecting to be captured in his homeland, especially by a group of men from the mysterious country he was tasked to observe, the Franco-British Union.

     It was then that the door slowly creaked open as the sun's lights suddenly illuminated the entire room. The person standing at the door was dressed as a government official unlike the ones that captured him and although his presence left a different impression, it was still incredibly threatening in a different way. The man is Christian Brosseau, a well-groomed Security Service intelligence officer with oozing aristocratic confidence, not very rare amongst all the intelligence officers the MI5 had to offer.

     Flanked by Canine and Wiz who was told to act as the two intimidating officers as a form of psychological pressure, Christian slowly walked over to the empty chair before he sat down, crossing his arms.

Christian: [C] "Good morning."

     No response from Tilman despite Christian's calm and soothing voice as the two stared at each other in dead silence, but it was clear Christian had his full attention.

Christian: [C] "Would you like a glass of water first?"

Tilman: [C] "..."

     Normally, everyone would've grown increasingly annoyed at the silence following their questions but this wasn't the case with Christian who was more than used to having to deal with prisoners like these.

Christian: [C] "I am not saying this in any sense of a threat, but you ended up here, captured, at the present time by the Franco-British Secret Service and it's our job in wartime to see whether you are friend... Or foe. Do you see?"

     Instead of silence engulfing the room again, however, Tilman quietly nodded before finally speaking up in Spanish with a German-like accent.

Tilman: [C] "...What do you want from a mere merchant like me?"

Christian: [C] "I suppose a mere merchant wouldn't possess weapons like a pistol, would they?"

Tilman: [C] "You bastard-"

     Tilman finally lost his temper and tried to jump out of his seat, only to be restrained by the rope tying him to the chair in the first place while Christian grinned, resting his hands on his knees, waiting for Tilman to slowly calm down before he continued.

Christian: [C] "It's about time you explain to me everything you know, Mr-"

Tilman: [C] "Tilman. Tilman Korn."

Christian: [C] "Finally figured out it would be worthwhile to talk, Mr Tilman?"

Tilman: [C] "Look, I am a merchant from a continent to the west and I am simply here to trade technologies like that pistol over there."

Christian: [C] "A quite convincing story had it been told to someone else, Mr Tilman."

     Tilman could clearly see his interrogator thinking for a moment before a grin surfaced on his face. It was only then that he realised that lying wouldn't work on someone like him... At least until Christian suddenly stood up and walked towards the door.