chapter two

.  ·  。. ·  ゜✭

✫  ·  ゜· 。

✫ · ゜· 。.

02. a lover's quarrel

ANNIE LAID IN HER BED, FACING THE WALL BLANKLY. She felt numb and out of tears, but she knew better than that, she knew that the simple mention of family would send her over the edge, and have her falling into an abyss. Her hair was probably very messy, having stayed in a bun the entire night without her fixing it once. She didn't have the motivation to do so.

There was a knock at her bedroom door, and her eyes adjusted to another side of the wall that seemed void of color, as if trying to see who it could be, although she already knew the identity of the person. Erik. He stayed over last night and let her cry, arms wrapped protectively around her. She couldn't care less to give him a response right now, though, and he walked in after noticing this.

"Hey, Anne..." He greeted solemnly, watching her carefully. "How are you feeling?"

She turned around, the blankets caressing her bare ankles as she moved. She saw Erik in front of the closed door, face full of sympathy. He lost his family too, in a freak accident. "I'm... up. Is that good enough?" She mused quietly, rising from the mattress.

"Of course, Anne." He said, sitting beside her. He had pity on her, as he knew the emotions that raged inside when you lost people dear to you. "You need to be up and surrounding yourself with people, which is why I wanted to ask if you wanted to come to a party with me. Just 45 minutes, at least."

She leaned her head on his shoulder. Moments like these were ones that convinced her that he was truly in love with her, and she was simply delusional. She sucked air through her teeth, blinking away her tiredness. She'd been more tired recently.

"Uh, yeah, sure. Just... uhm, let me get ready." She mumbled, and Erik stood up with a light smile, patting her on the shoulder before exiting the room, announcing that he'd be in the common room while she got dressed.

▁▁▁

ANNIE'S TONGUE BRUSHED THE INSIDE OF HER CHEEK. She was out of place in the party, and she was fully aware of that, but she didn't want to go home early and ruin Erik's fun. She was aware that she always dragged him down like a heavy anchor, and she didn't want to do that now.

Most words of the people around her were blurry and distant, her mind in a different place. She barely paid attention to them. She never was a party girl, but the parties she'd gone to before were never this dull. There were flashing lights, people dancing, and tons of alcohol ━ not just men ( or horny college students ) blabbering about their sex life. She hated that. Where did the fun go?