chapter eight

.  ·  。. ·  ゜✭

✫  ·  ゜· 。

✫ · ゜· 。.

08. the may queen

ANNIE SAT DOWN AFTER A BRIEF, AWKWARD STARE DOWN WITH THE COMMUNE, ALL WHO LOOKED AT HER, PATIENTLY WAITING FOR HER TO DECIDE THEIR NEXT MOVE. The rest of the commune followed suit. The place was completely silent, and it made her nervous. She looked to her side to gaze at the green leaves that the chair she sat on was compiled of, rustling as she ran her hand through them. She then returned her gaze to the group, Erik now situating himself at the table.

Not knowing what else to do, she grabbed the silverware, glancing at another member cautiously as if to see them object. She fiddled with them for another moment, waiting for anyone to tell her what to do, but finding them all staring back at her like obedient pets, she began to cut into her food, leaving the rest of them to follow suit. She smiled slightly at the sounds of their cutlery moving, and their attention now directed to their meal. She averted her gaze toward Erik, wondering what he was doing, how he felt in all of this. He met her gaze, appearing quite confused and out of it.

"Herring?" Natasha offered her, gaining her attention. She held out a plate with a fish on it, making Annie quirk an eyebrow. "What for?" She questioned.

"It's tradition, for good luck." She answered with a smile that could brighten anyone's day.

An elderly man with glasses beamed, seeming enthusiastic. "Yeah!"

Natasha picked up the fish. "Uh, what?" Annie mumbled, surprised at the fish hanging over her face.

"And you must eat it whole." The man added as Natasha pushed it further into her face. "But the tails go in first."

Annie leaned away. "No, no, no!" She shook her head vigorously, not wanting to eat a fish raw. Everyone at the table laughed, and the same elderly man insisted that she must try. She opened her mouth reluctantly, and Natasha slid the fish in. Just feeling it's skin rub across her mouth and teeth made her turn away from Natasha and spit it out, disgusted. In response to this, the group groaned in disappointment. Annie grimaced in disgust, letting out a quiet noise, which made them all laugh.

"Very good try." The old man praised.

Annie smiled uneasily, facing her meal again until Father Odd clinked his glass to silence the group. He rose from his seat, holding a cup of transparent liquid ( probably water, but you never know, being in the Hårga ). "To our May Queen!" He toasted, and her uneasy smile grew. He then said something in Swedish, and Annie took her own drink into her hands, drinking when everyone else did.