Chapter Twelve

IT'S SILENT AROUND us for a few moments. We don't know how long it's been since I had spoken Andre's name. He stands before me, stiff and tall, handsome and charming. I can feel Mr. Trumbull's eyes on us as they flicker back and forth between the three of us, confused but he doesn't move a muscle or say a word. Lafayette swallows, his eyes narrowing at Andre before me. I remain still and silent, glued to the chair, breathing slow and steady breaths through my noose in and out. Andre just smirks. 

 "Alexander," Andre says smoothly. He takes a slow step forward and I can see Lafayette's fists curl at his sides behind him. "I've missed you. I've missed your pretty face." 

 I try not to flinch when I feel his cold fingers just brushing underneath my jaw, though my body betrays my calm expression. I tense, shoulders hunched up to my ears. Lafayette swallows and clenches his fists tighter by his sides, so tight his knuckles turn white. His left eye twitches, eager to punch the living daylights out of Andre. Mr. Trumbull sits in his chair behind the canvas, swallowing and glancing back and forth confusedly.

 "Bastard," Lafayette hisses through clenched teeth, sharp and quick. Almost like a snake. "Bloody bastard." 

 I feel Andre's fingers curl slightly under my jaw, clenching it a bit tighter. I close my eyes, trying to remain calm and trying to ease my breathing. I try not to flinch under his touch. Andre slowly cranes his neck over his shoulder, raising an eyebrow. 

 "I'm sorry?" Andre says confusedly. 

 "Get your filthy British hands off of my baby brother," Lafayette growls.

 "Your baby brother?" Andre repeats, glancing between Lafayette and I a few times before it suddenly clicks. He nods in understandingly. "Ah." He turns to me. "You didn't tell me you had a brother, Alexander."

 "I didn't need too," I finally say, my voice soft and barley above whisper. Andre chuckles darkly, shaking his head. Lafayette growls a bit louder this time, like a dog now. 

 "Oh, how I missed your voice," Andre whispers darkly. He tilts his head to one shoulder. "Your eyes. Most of all, your lips."

I inhale sharply, my breath getting stuck in my throat. I keep my gaze leveled with his, trying to remain calm. "What do you want, Andre? What are you doing here?" 

 "Oh, I was hoping to get my portrait taken as well for a special someone. I did not expect to find you here and your brother apparently." 

Andre turns around fully to lock eyes with Lafayette, dropping his hand from my jaw. I let out a shuddering breath, feeling myself sag a little with relief. Andre wraps one arm around his back while he extends the other arm out towards Lafayette. 

 "My apologies, I don't believe I've introduced myself. The name's John—" 

 "John Andre," Lafayette hisses with an annoyed look on his face. "Yeah, I know who you are. The bloody bastard who ra...who ra...who touched my little brother. And need I remind you, Andre, that no one and I mean no one messes with my little brother.

" Andre presses his lips together into a firm line and hums. "Right. Right." Andre stands there awkwardly for a moment before turning back towards me and smirks. "It was a pleasure seeing you again, Alexander. I do hope to meet your acquaintance sometime again in the future." 

 I don't reply. I just keep my gaze leveled with his, jaw still clenched and body still stiff on the stool. Andre waits a couple of minutes before sighing disappointingly through his nose, takes one last look into my eyes before turning towards Lafayette and doing the same. He nods his goodbye at my brother before finally leaving the store, the bell chiming.