Chapter Twenty-Six

"YOU!" A DEEP British voice echoes from the end of the hall. "What the bloody hell are you doing here!" He jostles around for his rifle and aims it at us, narrowing his eyes so he's almost squinting as he slowly inches his way towards us. I let out a gasp as Andre practically yanks himself off of me. I lean against the wall, running my hand through my auburn hair, eyes wide as I turn around trying to hide my face from view, one hand on my chest as while the other tries to stifle a choked sob. I hear the rifle being cocked. A small but audible click. My eyes snap open and grow wide as the sun but I stay in this position. 

  I just kissed him. Dear God, I just kissed John Andre. I just...oh, God, oh God, please no... After what he did to me all those months ago? No. No. No...Oh, God...I think I'm gonna be sick...please...don't let it be true...don't let it be true...

Andre puts both of his hands up in surrender, slowly inching his way towards the officers, which catches my attention. I shoot Andre a look that reads: "What the hell are you doing?!" Andre doesn't seem to notice my warning glare and continues to inch towards the officers. 

 "At ease, sirs," Andre says, his British accent rolling off his tongue smoothly. "I am one of you." The first officer scoffs. "You? You're just a kid!" 

 Andre clenches his jaw as he tries not to curl his fingers into fists. He keeps his eyes trained on the officers. I stay near the wall, hand still over my chest, confused as hell as to what Andre's doing. My eyes stay transfixed on the officer's rifle aimed directly at Andre's chest. 

 "Andre..." Andre says. The officers frowns, glancing at each other as they slowly lower their rifles. Just an inch. I notice that all three wear the same bright red colored coat as Andre does. 

 "What?" The middle officer says, laughing with disbelief. 

 "Andre," Andre repeats again, inching scarily close to the officer so his rifle is almost against Andre's chest. Andre quirks an eyebrow. 

 "Andre," the right officer said, glancing at his friends. He scowls, aiming his rifle at Andre again. Andre stops walking. "Commander-in-Chief Antione Andre is dead." 

 Andre swallows thickly, clenching his jaw. My heart stops as my stern expression eases into a sympathetic one. 

 Oh.

 "I am aware," Ander says, calmly and smoothly. His voice is flat, lacking of emotion. He lets a shuddering breath. "I am his son."

 The three men freeze, their eyes widen as they glance back at each other. But the front one frowns. He lifts his rifle back up and narrows his eyes distrustfully. The click goes off again. 

 "And how do we know yer not spies, eh?" the soldier on the right asks. "How do we know yer not lyin'? And what about him?" He jerks his rifle towards me and gestures with the nod of his head. 

 My breath hitches in my throat when the rifle lands on me, my heart beating faster than before. I grow stiff, my face paling. I chew on my tongue. 

 "Him?" Andre glances towards me. I give him a pleading, terrified look. "Oh...him...he's uh...he's um...he's my boyfriend, sir—" 

 My eyes fly wide.

 "Boyfriend?" the soldier on the left scoffs. 

 "Yes, sir, Mr..." Andre squints at the man's breast pocket, trying to read his name. "Mr...Private Ringler..." He looks back up at the solider. "He's my boyfriend. He's gone...he's gone insane after he...found out about his uh...his um...his brother's...brother's capture here and needed to be reassured. He hasn't heard from him in months..."