Acadamy

Elsa’s eyes fluttered open, and the first thing she noticed was the absence of the Book of Dragons. Panic surged through her as she patted the chair around her, searching for the precious book. She remembered falling asleep with it in her hands, but now it was gone.

Her heart raced as she slid down from the chair, dropping to her knees to check underneath. She could not have lost it—it was too important, both to Hiccup and to her. Her fingers scraped against the rough wood floor as she searched frantically, but there was no sign of the book.

“Where did it go?” Elsa’s voice trembled as she groped around the chair, her worry growing with each passing second.

“Don’t worry about the book. Stoick borrowed it. Something about finding a dragon worthy of a Chief.”

The familiar voice cut through her thoughts, making her freeze in place. Elsa slowly rose to her feet, her heart pounding as she turned to see Hiccup standing beside the long table. He was setting down a plate of cooked fish and bread, his green eyes watching her with a gentle gaze that made her pulse quicken.

From the look on his face, she realized he had been watching her. For a moment, she thought he might have been checking her out, and normally, the thought would make her feel objectified or embarrassed. But instead, a rush of joy filled her, overpowering any other emotion.

Without thinking, Elsa took three quick steps and flung herself at Hiccup, her arms open wide. “You’re awake!” she cried, her voice bubbling with relief and happiness.

When her body collided with his, she felt his strong arms wrap around her, pulling her close as he laughed softly. Hiccup spun her around a few times, his embrace warm and comforting. When he finally set her down, Elsa stayed close, pressing her face into his chest as she mumbled, “I am so glad you finally woke up, Hiccup. I was so worried.”

A rough hand stroked the back of her head, the touch reassuring. “You were worried? I saw you riding that white Night Fury. You two were amazing. I was concerned you didn’t get clear of the impact…” His voice trailed off, hitching slightly.

Elsa pulled back, her hands resting on his shoulders as she looked him up and down. When her gaze returned to his face, she found him smiling gently at her.

“See? All in one piece. Well... mostly,” he said with a sheepish grin, sticking his peg leg out slightly.

“You are alive and well. That is all I care about,” Elsa replied with a wicked grin, one hand briefly flashing blue light for dramatic effect. “If anyone teases you about your leg other than me, I’ll freeze them in place.”

Hiccup grinned back, his gaze shifting to her lips and then back to her eyes. “I’ll keep that in mind,” he murmured, his face inching closer to hers, a subtle yearning in his expression.

Is he leaning in for a…? Elsa’s heart skipped a beat as she leaned in slightly too. “Besides, it is a badge of honor. You lost it protecting everyone.” She glanced at his lips briefly, feeling the pull of attraction. “Totally my hero.”

They both closed their eyes as the distance between them diminished, their breaths mingling in the space between them. Just as their lips were about to touch, the front door slammed open with a loud bang, making them jump apart.

Elsa’s face burned with embarrassment, and she saw Hiccup was bright red too. They both turned to see Stoick entering the hut, his steps loud and purposeful.

“Ah, kids. You’re both up. I came to get you. We need to talk. Come with me to the Great Hall,” Stoick said, his voice firm but not unkind.

Elsa and Hiccup exchanged quick, flustered glances before following Stoick out the door. As they flanked him on either side, they risked stealing a few more glances at each other, quickly looking away when their eyes met. Neither noticed the slight grin Stoick hid under his beard as he led the way.