Becoming a "witch"

Becoming a witch is almost the same as becoming a Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Jain, etc. While there are some forms of witchcraft that have specific income requirements, most forms of witchcraft are personal decisions. If you think you are a witch, then you are a witch.

You can perform meditation or another ritual to help you determine if witchcraft is right for you.

You can also do some kind of initiation ritual. Some witchcraft traditions have specific initiation rituals. Other witchcraft traditions require the individual to create their own initiation ritual. And some witchcraft traditions have no initiation at all. Although the initiation ritual is optional and to most isn't very necessary. 

Learning about witchcraft can take a lifetime (less than two years). There are many books nowadays that are designed to help beginners. The one that is most recommended is WICCA by Scott Cunningham. Yes, it's a Wiccan book and you really don't have to be one but Cunningham explains it so well that it will help new beginners understand better and after you finish reading it. You can start exploring other types of witchcraft and discover the path you want to take.

Witch on a budget tips:

You don't have to buy very expensive stuff online for your altar. The Dollar Store is your best friend and it's very affordable! Be crafty and creative!