~ Chapter 1 ~

Content Warning: Barricade Violence

"CHIEF!"

"ENJOLRAS!"

Cannonfire sounded off and bullets riddled the air as I ignored the shouts of my friends, running as fast as I could around the side of the barricade, clutching my rifle close to my side as I went.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING, ENJOLRAS? YOU'RE GOING TO GET US ALL KILLED!"

"ENJOLRAS, PLEASE..."

"DONT' LEAVE US NOW, CHIEF!"

I shook my head and blocked out the yells. A distraction, simply a distraction...that's all they were trying to do. I couldn't handle it.

Stay focused.

Yet I couldn't, and my vision briefly blurred as the scene I had just witnessed replayed itself in my mind.

The guard's bayonet aiming straight at Grantaire's heart, the muffled popping noise as the charge sounded, my footsteps and heart pounding equally as hard to make it in time...the crumpling of his body...the hatred in the guard's eyes... Joly pushing me away, my stumbling back...

They had just shot Grantaire.

So now I ran in full pursuit, my eyes glued only on the man who had dared to fire upon the only person I -

Don't think!

I reached the other side of the barricade and immediately drew my rapier from my belt, slashing out again, and again, and again, blindly, furiously, at the guards who dared to stray into my path. They were attempting to surround me, but I pursued forward, ignoring the cries that rang out and waging as much war as possible against these demons that dared to strike out against Grantaire.

"GET BACK HERE AND HELP US!"

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING ENJOLRAS?"

Just ignore it, just -

"APOLLO, STOP!"

I froze in my tracks at the new voice, audibly weak but powerful nonetheless, and slowly turned on the spot, ignoring the fresh new wave of Guardsmen pushing their way toward me. "Grantaire..."

"NO! RUN! RUN, APOLLO, RUN!"

Instead of running to him, I was weak. I chose the cowardly escape, and sprinted down the closest side alleyway, not looking back, and ignoring the increased shouts of my friends.

We had been abandoned...I had tried to warn them. Perhaps nothing could save them now...

Instead of confronting my fears, I ran from them all, and the fog closed around me as I left the Rue de la Chanvrerie.