Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Lindsey Dye

                                                                          Chapter 1

                                                               "World Set Spinning"

I dropped to the ground, kneeling as I waited for my surroundings to materialize around me. My head was pounding as I surveyed the spinning green. Then, as fast as the revolving matter spun, everything came to a stop with a jolt.

                I took a deep breath, willing the usual headache to disappear. Pushing off from the ground, I started walking through the woods, looking, always looking. I finally found my usual clearing and went to perch myself on the large rock plopped in the middle of nowhere.

                He should be here any minute.

                I allowed myself a few moments of relaxation before the hazy sun rose and my sight was momentarily impaired. After a few moments of rapid blinking, I squinted at the end of the woods where my excellent hearing had picked up movement.

                My reaction was simultaneous with his appearance; I had just disappeared behind my rock when he stepped out into the clearing, armed with a bow and several arrows. I tried to slow my heavy breathing as I heard his nearly silent footsteps cautiously approach my hiding place.

                “Who is there?” His voice was deep and mature, intelligence swimming in his tone. I had to yet again resist the urge to reply.

                Fighting the fear that was threatening to overtake my body, I leaned slowly until I was peering slightly around the rock. He was staring intently into the woods at that moment so I felt safe to survey him for a few seconds.

                This made the fifth time I had seen him but the first time I had been this close. He was very tall, much taller than my 5’9 form and well built. His black hair was chopped short but not so short that it didn’t blow in the breeze. His high cheekbones and full lips sent a shiver through me that had nothing to do with the slight chill in the air.

                I was already disappearing back behind my slab of stone as he turned his head back to where he had seen someone go.

                “Whoever you are, you can’t be here.” The sudden urgency in his voice sent another chill through me and I didn’t know whether to respond or not.

                What I didn’t expect was the sound of the string of a bow being pulled back. I didn’t know if he could hit me with an arrow from where he stood but I wasn’t about to take a chance.

                As I rolled my body out from behind the rock, the arrow made contact with its target—which was a rather large rabbit.

                My eyes met his for the first time and he paused in shock for a moment, giving me enough time to get to my feet and prepare myself to run.

                “Wait, don’t run!” He made a sudden lunge for me and I let out a small shriek. His eyes grew wide and he suddenly was looking all around him, as if we could be attacked any minute.

                I sucked air into my lungs and turned to sprint back into the woods. Instead, my face met the ground and I was pinned under a really heavy body. But my exquisite ears picked up the sound of several small thuds and my eyes confirmed that what I had just heard were four arrows making contact with a nearby tree.