Shadows

Andrea Rhodea; 6 years before events.

Not a week went by that 'the Rufus Shinra' didn't bring something to Taya. A book of poetry, a new flower, seeds for her garden, I was sitting with my fellow trio members. When Sam said, "Well it looks like your girl is well protected now." "Apparently Corneo said something about her being the only acceptable candidate when she came of age. One of his lackey's said he might find himself in some hot water with the younger Shinra male, as he's been sending her gifts!" "He seemed to be very upset by this information and asked when it happened. No one actually knew when it happened only that it's been going on for over a month." "Her birthday he came here asking about her. Apparently one of the Turks got wind of her. So he came to see her, to confirm that she was my daughter. Then the gifts began, one each week for the last month. He brings them personally each week, he's been trying to get her to visit Shinra tower." We departed ways to open our shops I entered the inn for the evening when I saw them. Taya looked completely uncomfortable in the booth reserved for VIP guess. "Dad are you dancing tonight? Rufus said I should see you dance at least once. That I shouldn't let my fear overcome seeing my dad dance." Growing up the way she did made her afraid of large crowds. So our home was her sanctuary, so I gave her everything she didn't have on that ship. Flowers, the sunlamps that mimicked daylight, pretty clothes, and a sweet little black kitten. "Well yes sweetie I am dancing tonight. I'm so proud you are here, and you are doing so well. Thank you for bringing her Rufus, I'm glad she let you persuade her to come. If it gets to be to much you can use the stage door there. It'll take you to the back of our house." As I took the stage that night with my daughter watching. The wonder and amazement on her face gave me such joy. When my staff escorted the patrons out, my daughter and Rufus Shinra sat waiting for me. "Dad that was amazing I'm so glad I came! I didn't know that you could dance like that!" "I dance at home honey, and you've watched me there." "But it's isn't the same dad, here it all together and coordinated. At home it's just us, and that's fun but I love seeing you like this!" I left her to leave with Rufus, with his promise to walk her straight home. I asked him to wait with her until I could return home. As there was something I wished to discuss with him.

When I entered the rooftop garden it was only Rufus. "All done I see, I know what you're thinking she's gone to bed her excitement and fear completely wore her out. So what is it you wanted to talk to me about?" "Corneo, he's set his sights on Taya, while I know he's a pawn you use occasionally. Is there anyway you can protect her from him?" "Ah, I'll let it be known I'm interested in her, but I'm waiting until she's come of age. She's very lovely Andrea. I'm of the same mindset as you Corneo, and his lackeys would damage her. I'll speak with my father as soon as I return home." After he left I checked on Taya and she was already asleep, so I headed to my own bed. When I awoke the next morning I heard about president Shinra guards visiting with the Don. That evening Taya and I were asked to join president Shinra, and his son for dinner. We were taken by helicopter to the Shinra penthouse. Dinner was a casual affair with just the four of us. After dinner Rufus and Taya disappeared into a room, to have a chat. "Your daughter is safe, my son seems quite taken with her. I know the age difference is of concern, but he can wait for her until then. I heard she's afraid of large crowds, where did she grow up?" "Central City. They have odd beliefs they killed her mother, and would've killed Taya. But for whatever reason they allowed her to come to me." We had chosen Central City, as they wouldn't speak to outsiders and kept to themselves. It was the safest way to protect how Taya came into our world. Jules had come up with the idea, to answer questions about her childhood. No one in Central City would answer Shinra inquiries, if they chose to look into her background. They would actually be lucky to make it back alive as that was there way. "Central City that place has been a thorn in Midgar's side, they kill outsiders. Was Taya's mother from there?" "Yes she was, she returned soon after becoming pregnant with Taya. We should be going Taya needs to get to bed soon." "Of course I forget what that was like considering Rufus is an adult now." I watched as he pressed a button and spoke asking them to return.