Chapter 1

"Wait a bit longer, just a bit longer..." A light brown kit murmured to two white ones.

"How much longer must we wait, Ivykit?" One of the white kits asked impatiently, bouncing up and down in anticipation.

The light brown kit, Ivykit, responded with, "just a bit longer..."

It was one moon after her sister had died, but since she was too young to understand it all, she didn't go through as much grief as her mother. Everyone knew around one moon was left until Leafbare started, and the cats were nervous and anxious. The last Leafbare killed so many cats due to the twoleg hunters that constantly invaded their territory. This Leafbare, according to Squirrelstar, they would be lucky to only lose five cats.

Then a reddish feline figure leaped to the top of the highrock. Before she could even start the meeting, Ivykit exclaimed, "now!" But she was too late, as the other two kits were already jumping quickly towards the rock.

Squirrelstar shouted, "all cats gather around the highrock for a clan meeting!"

The elders padded out, smiles plastered on their faces. No matter what, throughout all the preparations for Leafbare, the elders kept on a happy face. If one could read their thoughts, they would learn that because even though they are growing old and are suffering just as much as the rest of the cats are, their happy face encouraged apprentices to work harder, and the harder they work, the more prey the clan gets.

Mistyflight padded out quickly from the nursery, she wasn't going to miss this for her life. Cherrysnow was too busy caring for her kits, which all but Mistkit were turning out to be real pests. Mossheart slowly padded out, going over to where her kit stood, bouncing excitedly around.

Beetlepaw, Silverpaw, Mintpaw, and Sparrowpaw came bouncing out of the Apprentice's den and Finchwing came outside the medicine cat's den. Fruitpaw, the sleep-lover that she is, didn't follow her mentor outside the den.
Cloudfur leaped onto the open space on the Highrock behind Squirrelstar's left side whilst Finchwing sat behind her on the right.

The warriors were the last to come out, and when the clan realized there were no patrols out, everyone sparked up in anticipation. They feared something bad could've happened, but they were also hopeful for good news.

"Snowkit and Fluffykit," Squirrelstar started, "you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Snowpaw and Fluffypaw."

Snowkit and Fluffykit, now Snowpaw and Fluffypaw, bounced up and down excitedly as they dashed forward to be right underneath the highrock, ready to greet their mentors.

"Snowpaw," Squirrelstar announced, "your mentor will be Bramblebush. I hope Bramblebush will pass down all he knows on to you." Then she turned to Bramblebush and exclaimed, "Bramblebush, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Acornfur, and you have shown yourself to be a loyal warrior and a talented hunter. You will be the mentor of Snowpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to her."

Bramblebush padded slowly up to the new apprentice, and they eagerly touched noses. It was obvious that Snowpaw was happy to have such a good warrior as a mentor.

"Fluffypaw," Squirrelstar continued, "your mentor will be Applebelly. I hope Applebelly will pass down all he knows on to you." Then she turned to Applebelly and exclaimed, "Applebelly, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Cloudfur, and you have shown yourself to be loyal and smart. You will be the mentor of Fluffypaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to him."

Applebelly bounded up to Fluffypaw happily and the two touched noses, carrying the same sort of carefree behavior.

"That is all," Squirrelstar said, ending the clan meeting.